Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wat Dan Hor 滑蛋河 Rice Noodles With Silky Smooth Egg Sauce - A Tribute To Chan Suk


As I mentioned in my raat naa muu entry, this is right up there for me when it comes to noodle dishes. I remember very vividly as a ten year old, standing in front of this noodle stand in Cameron Highlands, operated by someone named Chan Suk (鏟叔 Chan meaning the flat metal spatula and suk meaning uncle in Cantonese). Watching him worked over the blazing hot wok, knowing exactly what he was going to do next, from heating up the wok, charring the noodles to thickening the sauce with the corn solution. Even to these days I follow every single step of what Chan Suk "taught me" when it comes to cooking hawker style noodle dishes. Oh! one more thing, he always remembered to omit the garlic for my father, pork for my aunt and extra bits and pieces for me :). In a small way, this is a tribute to the late Chan Suk.
P.S wat dan hor means rice noodle with silky egg sauce

recipe per serve
you'll need;
3 prawns, peeled
small handful of calamari, sliced (optional)
30g of meat of your choice, marinated with soy, white pepper, sesame oil and corn starch
2 stalks of choysum, cut into 3" lenghts
1 cup of stock
corn stach solution
dash of oyster sauce
dash of light soy
dash of sesame oil
a little white pepper

Noodles rubbed with a dash of light soy being charred in a hot wok. Do not stir the noodles too much. When they are charred and blistered, remove from the wok and keep warm.

Fry chopped garlic in a hot wok with a little oil, followed by seafood and marinated meat slices. Saute for a few minutes.

Add vegetable and fry for a minute before adding the seasonings.

Add the stock and bring it to a simmer.

Push the solids to aside and add the corn flour solution, when it starts to thicken crack an egg in. When it is 30% turn off the heat and lightly scramble it, mix everything well.

Served hot with cut chilies with soy, or my favourite pickled green chilies with soy.

12 comments:

  1. Wow , this one looks really yummy , so much ingredients...nice colour combination

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) mustn't forget the pickled green chilies !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had wat dan hor for long time!!! This is something that I ordered when I eat at the hawkers in KL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bet u always ask for the green chilies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you lived in Malaysia! No wonder you can speak Cantonese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha KennyT. I lived in HK for a short while too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 好久沒吃滑蛋河了!賣像很好!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 謝謝大肥!久沒吃就要吃了嗎!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harriet from CarltonDecember 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM

    What a sweet story! He must be so proud of you !

    ReplyDelete
  10. un-believe-able: so much good food on this dutch website! I live in the netherlands but can hardly find any good malaysian restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this recipe but my broth turned out more like badly scrambled eggs in a weird soup. damn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually tell a lie, my grandma stopped me halfway and made me do it her way... that might be the reason it was so bad!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin