Friday, October 30, 2009

Vietnamese Sizzling Pancake, Bahn Xeo


I had this for the first time in Saigon many years ago, but only managed to find a place in Melbourne that makes a really good one recently. Often they are either too soggy or are soaking in oil, but when they are done correctly; they are light and crispy and you just want to have the whole thing by yourself.
I've had this recipe from a friend for a while now but have never even thought of making this at home, until I borrowed my friend M's heavy cast iron hot plate. It's the right size and it gets really hot and retains the heat very well (this resulting in a really crispy pancake). We had this with the beef wrapped in wild betel leaves and I have to say this is a really mean pancake coming from a first timer. So please give it a try, it takes minutes to prepare and the result is PURE JOY!!! The tummies were more than impressed of course :)
P.S I served this together with beef wrapped in wild betel leaves , check it out!

makes 2
for the batter you'll need;
rice flour
turmeric powder
coconut milk
water
spring onions, chopped
salt
sugar

for the filling you'll need;
6 large tiger prawns, peeled and halved
100g of pork neck, thinly sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 cup of cooked mung bean
3 cups of bean sprouts

you'll also need;
lettuce and lots of fresh herbs

First put all the batter ingredients in a bowl and mix well...

Heat up a hot pan, fry half the onions, pork pieces and prawns til slightly brown...

Add batter, distribute evenly and thinly and fry for 2 minutes. Put in bean sprouts, cover the pan and cook for 2 more minutes...

Remove the cover and fry for another few minutes, be careful not to burn the pancake. When the pancake is crispy enough, fold it into half...

Not bad for a first timer :) woo hoo!!!

Serve it hot with lots of fresh herbs and lettuce and Vietnamese dipping sauce of course.

8 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds super delish! A one-dish meal too! Great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive looking, you have done it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I can't wait to get my furniture off the container so I can start cooking your delish recipes. Really inspirational my gorgeous boy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks The Little!!

    THanks love to eat! are you surprised??? :)

    Anonymous - Thanks ! are you H?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, FYI it's spelled XEO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I had this dish for the first time just after Christmas and have been thinking I'd like to try it, and then I found your recipe. It looks relatively simple. I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, if you fry the filling first, it's much easier, and that's how it's mainly done in Vietnamese places, and it won't burn as easily. I recommend frying the batter first, then put the filling in the middle, and then put the lid over it so it can finish cooking. Finally, fold it in half and put it on a plate. (***And it's spelled 'Banh Xeo' not with a 'C'.

    ReplyDelete

  8. RR
    ขอให้โชคดี
    นับตั้งแต่นี้
    ต้องไม่งอแงดูแลตัวเองให้ดี
    ฉันไม่เป็นไร
    ไม่ได้ไปไหน
    แค่จะอวยพรจากนี้ให้นอนฝันดี
    สล็อตPG
    สล็อตPG

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin