Monday, October 19, 2009

Malaysian Chicken Curry Mee 咖喱雞麵






I decided I needed to make this dish again as the only photos I had were dreary. Something that we will have at sunday lunch, just as you would your roast (with other goodies like curry puff of course). I timed myself this time and it took 1 hour to be precise. My best friend A was here on Friday night to spend a wonderful evening with me drinking, eating and being very relaxed about me taking photos of everything all night :). Not to confuse with laksa which will be posted later in the future.
Please try this and you will thank me for my second effort. This is a family recipe.

serves 6
for the broth
8 shallots
10 cloves of garlic
10 dried chilis, soaked and drained
1 knob of ginger
1 knob of galangal
1 lemongrass, white part only chopped
small pc of shrimp paste, toasted
2 tbs malaysian meat curry powder ( i used burung nuri brand ), make into a wet paste with water
A whole chicken, 10 chicken drumsticks or 3 marylands, cut into pieces
2 1/2 l water
Blend everything (except chicken and water) to a course paste

you also need;
hokkien noodle
rice vermicelli, soaked
bean sprouts, blanched
crispy shallot
spring onion, chopped
mint
corriander leaves
chilis, chopped
hard boiled eggs ( i boiled them for 7 minutes for a soft yokes )
lemon or lime wedges
green beans , blanched
tofu puffs, halved
3 kaffir lime leaves
1 can coconut cream ( Ayam brand only )

Fry blended spices and curry powder with some oil til oil separated.

Add chicken pieces and fry for further 5 minutes.

Add coconut cream and kaffir lime leaves and mix well.

Add water and simmer for 20 minutes...

Add tofu puffs and bring it back to a rolling boil..

Cook noodles for 2 minutes each and place everything in a warm bowl...

Pour curry broth over, with some chicken and tofu of course...

Add toppings and have fun!!!

The picture says it all...:)

11 comments:

  1. this was very delicious and was complemented perfectly with a great dinner companion and a crisp white wine. haha i initially wrote white whine, but we were very upbeat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum!!! I love malaysian chicken curry mee. The one you made really lovely. As it's a family recipe, I reckon the taste is authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made this last night and it was a great success!!!! Our boys have demanded we cook this again on Friday night. Thanks for sharing your family recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks darling, next time we can finish the meal off with durian ice cream perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey my cooking hut, It is the taste of childhood, luckily everything can be bought here in Melbourne.

    Hey love to eat, I am so glad you tried the recipe and it was a triumph!
    I'll sharing more recipes so get your shopping carts ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curry mee is always my family favourite. It looks so good here. I see that Ayam coconut cream....just best. I can't get it here. The coconut cream here is not as fragrant. Waiting to see your laksa. I'm missing ALL Malaysian food again :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. where r u , i'll send u some ayam brand coconut cream !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 哈哈!你什麼都要不怕肥嗎?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah...I can definitely do with a big bowl of that right now. Will remember to try your family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Towz,
    Please do!! Let me know how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin