Friday, October 30, 2009

Beef Wrapped In Wild Betel Leaves, Bo Nuong La Lot


Something that I have always wanted to make but somehow always managed to talk myself out of it. After having cooked Vietnamese for the last few days, I thought it really must be time for me to try some thing new and yes I did!!! Not one but two new dishes for the first time and the result is just fabulous! I would have given myself a medal if my hands were not too greasy during the meal .
If you are like me, tired of yet another grilled dish that are deep fried, take matters into your own hands. They are actually really simple to make but the only problem is you'll never order this in a restaurant again!! The other dish I made to serve together with this dish is Vietnamese sizzling pancake.
Sadly the wild betel leaves (la lot in Vietnamese) are not as common as doggy drug dealers roaming this strip famous for it's asian grocers and Vietnamese restaurants that all have this dish on their menu . I managed to find some in one of the bigger shop for $3/bunch, not bad at all!!
P.S I also managed to test drive the Japanese stovetop grill that I got yesterday and it's just FABULOUS !!!

makes 20
you'll need;
500g of minced beef
1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic, chopped and saute
6 tbs roasted peanut, chopped
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
5 tbs minced lemongrass
4 tsp of sugar
4 tsp of fish sauce
10 bamboo skewers, soaked
lettuce and herbs
20 lalot leaves


Mix everything very well (except the herbs and lettuce of course)

Have the meat mixture, lalot leaves and bamboo skewers ready...

With the leaf gloss side down, place a small amount of meat paste on the leaf...

Roll it up tightly, set aside with the seam side down. Repeat with the rest....

Use 2 skewers to thread 4 rolls, repeat with the rest...

Grill the rolls till cooked, being careful not to burn them...(I moved them outside as it was becoming too smokey :p)

Served here with lettuce, mixed herbs and Vietnamese dipping sauce . Boy, that was good!!!

13 comments:

  1. hey hey..so ya in KL?
    I normally organise makan-makan session for the heck of it and tonite it is at Sek Yuen Jln Pudu. U wan to join us?
    email: wackybecky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These wraps sound delicious! I will be on a lookout for betel leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww the kids love this, I didn't realise it's so simple to make. I'll make some for the bbq if I can find some of the leaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never used lalot leaves before , how does it tastes like ? You seem to like Vietnamese food alot and this dish sure look delicious and unique ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks quite interesting! I've never used lalot leaves, perhaps I'll run into it one day. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks good! will attempt this if there's a bbq party :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nomadgourmand - no unfortunately I', in Melbourne. will let u know when i'm back next :)

    5starFoodie - please do it!!!

    lovetoeat - so you should! try Richmond Supermarket, it's one of the bigger one half way down the strip .

    A full-time housefly - not much of a taste before cooking but it's rather wonderful when it's cooked. It's used in the Penang otak too. They grow wild in Singapore as ground cover :)

    FLB thanks ! you'll get addicted to it!!!

    Kampungboycitygal - let me know if you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really yummy! I can't get wild betel leaves here in Canada, but I bet the filling would be great inside rice wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound great--and so beautiful and colorful! I've never heard of betel leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi 3HT. Your Vietnamese Sizzling Pancake rocks ! As for the beef wraps, they look great, but I've never liked betel leaves. Do you think I could use something else for the wrapping ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Palidor - make little meat ball using the filling and yes they are great with rice wrappers

    Hungry Dog - I will be using that for other recipes, hopefully you can get some

    hey CW Thanks!! I think you can use the leafy part of gailan . The taste of la lot when it's grilled is rather different though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RR
    ขอให้โชคดี
    นับตั้งแต่นี้
    ต้องไม่งอแงดูแลตัวเองให้ดี
    ฉันไม่เป็นไร
    ไม่ได้ไปไหน
    แค่จะอวยพรจากนี้ให้นอนฝันดี
    สล็อตPG
    สล็อตPG

    ReplyDelete

  13. RR
    เกม Jackpot Fishing จากค่าย JILI Slot นั้นถือว่าเป็นเกม ยิงปลา อีกเกมที่นักเดิมพันควรลงทุน
    เพราะนอกจากจะได้ความสนุกเพลิดเพลินแล้วยังควรค่าแก่การทำกำไรอีกด้วย ตัวเกมแตกง่ายและมีปลาพิเศษออกมาให้ยิงบ่อย ๆ
    ทำให้เรามีโอกาสเพิ่มที่จะได้เงินรางวัลจากโบนัส กราฟิกเกมค่อนข้างน่าเล่น ทำให้ผู้เล่นเพลิดเพลินไปกับเกมไม่รู้เบื่อ นักเดิมพันท่านใดสนใจเล่น
    เกมยิงปลาฟรีเครดิตถอนได้ สามารถแอดไลน์ @SPS98 หรือเข้าเว็บไซต์ Superslot 98
    เพื่อสมัครเป็นสมาชิกและเล่นเกมได้เลย มีบริการฝาก ถอน โอนไว ปลอดภัย และไม่มีประวัติโกง
    สล็อต1234
    สล็อต1234

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin