Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ginger Chicken With Rice Wine - The Cure For Almost Everything 黄酒薑雞


I realised we hadn't cooked anything Chinese for a while and hadn't had any rice for more than a week. Nursing a hangover, going all the way to Victoria Street seemed out of the question, but this is always a dish that will please everyone at home and does not require a bus load of ingredients. I picked up everything I needed from the supermarket and spent the rest of the day reading in the sun :)
P.S I also found some chokoes which I turned into a beautiful side dish.


serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal
you'll need;
1 free range chicken, chopped into 20 pieces
large knob of ginger, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 spring onions, cut into 2'' pieces
3 tbs of oyster sauce
large splash of chinese cooking wine
dash of sugar
dash of light soy
dash of dark soy
pepper to taste
2 tbs of sesame oil

Ready to go...

Fry ginger and garlic with sesame oil then add in the chicken pieces.

Fry chicken pieces for a few minutes, add seasoning and continue to cook for 5 minutes...

Add water and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes...Thicken with corn starch solution, add spring onions and turn heat off...

Serve with lots of rice and a vegetable side dish; we had chokoe with garlic and dried shrimp.

6 comments:

  1. My mum used to cook this a lot, and interestingly during my uni days in Melbourne I also liked to cook this dish. Brings back memories of home. I would do it in a claypot as a one-pot dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah just a very simple everyday dish but we all have such fond memory of it, must be the love being put in too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favourite , thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dish.. it's even better when the weather is chilly!

    ReplyDelete

  5. RR
    ขอให้โชคดี
    นับตั้งแต่นี้
    ต้องไม่งอแงดูแลตัวเองให้ดี
    ฉันไม่เป็นไร
    ไม่ได้ไปไหน
    แค่จะอวยพรจากนี้ให้นอนฝันดี
    สล็อตPG
    สล็อตPG

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin