Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jajangmyeon 자장면 Korean Noodles With Black Bean Sauce


I invited my old friends P and D over for lunch on Saturday. I have been actively avoiding them since their return from Mexico during the height of the swine flu pandemic, so to dispel any suspicion I cooked something with pork of course and hugged them a little longer than I normally would. I think it worked!!!  It was a a nice afternoon in the sun, catching up and making fun of everything under the sun. Thanks guys!!
Jajangmyeon is a Korean version of  Ja jiang mein 炸醬麵, modified to it's current form by Chinese immigrants around a century ago in the city of Incheon. It tastes nothing like the ja jiang mein that I know but I don't really mind it, perhaps I just love any noodle dish that is covered in thick black sauce!!  If you are a big fan of black bean sauce, you will love this!
P.S I will post the original version of Ja jiang mein in a few days time :)


serves 6
you'll need;
2 carrot, peeled and diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
500g of pork fillet, dice (marinated with soy, sesame oil, grated ginger and garlic and corn flour)
8tbs of chungjang 
1kg of fresh Shanghai noodle

Dice everything and start cooking..

Fry chungjang with 2tbs of oil til fragrant, takes 5 minutes. Leave it aside...

Fry pork til lightly brown and add the rest of the vegetable and continue to fry for 5 minutes...

Add pork and vegetable mixture into the prepared sauce earlier and fry for 5 to 10 minutes. Add water and simmer til vegetable is tender.


Meanwhile prepare noodle according to instructions on the packaging, divide noodle into warm bowls and pour sauce over. Garnish with sliced cucumber, omelet and spring onions.

Mix it and slurp it all up!!!

19 comments:

  1. Oh..I really enjoyed this when I was in Korea. Looks so yummy! I also like to cook Zha Jiang Mian 炸酱面 (Chinese style), maybe you like to take a look at my place under Rice/Noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this dish looks very yummy...the sauce looks to die for! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Anncoo, have seen that. I can eat that everyday :)

    hey zurin, yeah it's all dark and sticky!! I added some chili oil in mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its very nice & easy to make...no wonder its a common dish in korea :) Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours looks great! I like the addition of shredded eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks pigpigscorner ! I think the yellow make the dish a little prettier :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is one of my favorite childhood dishes and adult dishes! I've always made the instant, not knowing how to make it from scratch, which is 1000 times better! Thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome!!! hopefully you'll like the original version which I'll be making in a few days time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to the Chinese version!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family loves noodles, whether white or black. I'm sure they will love this one. We love most Korean food. They are really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mary that's great! I'm posting KL Hokkien noodle next. Bet that will make you miss home :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! It's got all kinds of flavours and textures! Love the sliced cucumber topping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Somewhere in Singapore :)

    Thanks little Teochew!! :) the cucumber does give the dish a good lift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 韓國菜你也會?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a big fan of Korean dramas, they are forever slurping this black noodles haha now I can cook it thanks to you !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi!! I was looking for a recipe to make jajangmyeon!!... but... I have a little problem.. I can´t find in the supermarkets the black bean paste ToT...

    Does anyone know where I can get it?... o some recipe to make my own black bean paste??...

    I want cook this dish :)

    Thanks for sharing and its a nice blog!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks awesome! I'm going to try it out too! XD

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin