Saturday, October 31, 2009

Khao Klub Gapi ข้าวคลุกกะปิ Rice With Shrimp Paste


A few of my friends have been asking me to start posting Thai recipes and after cooking a lot of food that I didn't grew up with, I thought it might be time to present the aroy maak maak series of Thai food on this blog. This is one of those dishes that you have to grow up with or it might be a little too overwhelming for the first time. It's a stunning looking dish and one of the thai dishes that need to be tasted at least once in your lifetime. The tummies couldn't quite get it but I love it!! They got to taste it once and I felt completely nourished.
There are a fair bit of cutting but next to no cooking at all,.it's salty, sweet, sour, crunchy, spicy and very healthy. You may increase the amount of garlic and decrease the amount of shrimp paste if you are cooking for the first time.
P.S I cooked the rice on my bbq as the aromas of the shrimp paste could linger for days.


serves 4
for the garnish you'll need;
1 green mango, shredded
3 eggs, made into thin omelet, thinly sliced
4 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup of dried shrimp, fried till crispy
lime wedges
10 long beans, thinly sliced
2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced
4 bird chilies, sliced

for the rice you'll need:
4 cups of cold rice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
a small piece of shrimp paste (wrapped in foil, toasted and crushed)

Everything is cut and sliced, now prepare the rice..

Fry garlic and shrimp paste with some oil...

Add rice and stir fry til  every grain of rice is coated with the garlic and shrimp paste mixture..

Arrange garnishes prettily around the moulded rice...

Completely destroy the prettiness and enjoy the fishiness !!!

24 comments:

  1. Hi3TH,you are a cooking genius!And BTW I've fed shrimp paste to Mat Sallehs and they seem to take to it like duck to water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you Thai? I LOVE Thai cooking. This dish looks super appetising. I can never get sick of Thai food :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastically delicious dish. Thanks for stopping by my blog and thank you for calling me mad. :)Nice to meet you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retno Prihadana - haha I'm glad :)

    The Little Teochew - Thanks ! yes I am part Thai , and I'll be cooking a lot of Thai dishes in the coming weeks :)

    Donna _FFW - You'll are welcome, nice meeting you too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so pretty yet healthy! Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting to like Thai foods, that mainly taste sweet and sour.
    Glad to have you sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks C&C!

    Thanks Christine, will be posting more Thai recipes in the next few days

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... this looks great!! I love Thai dishes like this, a lot of flavours in it I can see! :) Please share more Thai dishes..!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous dish! It looks so flavorful! Thai food is awesome...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. my cooking hut, the next few dishes are all thai :)

    Hey rosa glad u love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yeah love thai salads will follow for some cooking tips from you

    ReplyDelete
  13. C & Conly sharing the tips i got from my family please share yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the look of this , might just have to cut down on the shrimp paste a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to order this at KOKA in Singapore :) ! yours looks much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hungry Tummies, can I just say I am loving your blog and look forward to your next culinary delight. I do have a question regarding this particular recipe, the dried prawns you used, are they the usual ones that you use for things like sambal kankong? Or are they the flat shrimpy style you use as garnish in Mee Rebus?

    (in case you're wondering, I have a mutual friend of your friends P & D who put me onto your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Temasek!! I'm glad you are liking my blog.
    It is the same type used for the sambal, I just managed to get some smaller Thai ones but if you can't find them, use the normal dried shrimps.
    p.s I must thank P & D :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If it is an awesome content, will be picked up or else not.keep it up bro หวยชุดลาว

    ReplyDelete

  19. RR
    ขอให้โชคดี
    นับตั้งแต่นี้
    ต้องไม่งอแงดูแลตัวเองให้ดี
    ฉันไม่เป็นไร
    ไม่ได้ไปไหน
    แค่จะอวยพรจากนี้ให้นอนฝันดี
    สล็อตPG
    สล็อตPG

    ReplyDelete

  20. RR
    เกม Jackpot Fishing จากค่าย JILI Slot นั้นถือว่าเป็นเกม ยิงปลา อีกเกมที่นักเดิมพันควรลงทุน
    เพราะนอกจากจะได้ความสนุกเพลิดเพลินแล้วยังควรค่าแก่การทำกำไรอีกด้วย ตัวเกมแตกง่ายและมีปลาพิเศษออกมาให้ยิงบ่อย ๆ
    ทำให้เรามีโอกาสเพิ่มที่จะได้เงินรางวัลจากโบนัส กราฟิกเกมค่อนข้างน่าเล่น ทำให้ผู้เล่นเพลิดเพลินไปกับเกมไม่รู้เบื่อ นักเดิมพันท่านใดสนใจเล่น
    เกมยิงปลาฟรีเครดิตถอนได้ สามารถแอดไลน์ @SPS98 หรือเข้าเว็บไซต์ Superslot 98
    เพื่อสมัครเป็นสมาชิกและเล่นเกมได้เลย มีบริการฝาก ถอน โอนไว ปลอดภัย และไม่มีประวัติโกง
    สล็อต1234
    สล็อต1234

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin