Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Gung Chae Nam Pla กุ้งแชน้ำปล่า Thai Marinated Raw Prawns


If you are a fan of raw fish, this one is for you!!! A very simple dish that one can whip up in minutes and what a better way to taste the fresh prawns?? The first time I had this was using freshly caught prawns in Sukhothai, heaven!!! You'll need to get the freshest prawns you can lay your hands on and never use frozen peeled prawns as they have no taste at all. I served this with duck salad and son in-law eggs and plenty of steam rice.
P.S great dish as it is to have with some nice chilled beer!!

serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
500g of fresh prawns, peeled and butterflied
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 bird chilies, chopped
1 shallot, chopped (I ran out :( )
shredded mint
dash of fish sauce
juice of half a lime

Arrange butterflied prawns neatly on a plate

Drizzle fish sauce and lime juice, sprinkle chopped chilies and garlic over it and leave it in the fridge for 10 minutes

sprinkle mint over just before serving.

8 comments:

  1. This is kind of like our Sarawak umai. We use a lot more lime juice, so the prawns are kind of "pickled" already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah CW I love umai. This is not "cook" at all but people that don't like it raw can add more lime juice and leave it for a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cray fish in the freezer, can I use it for this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! This reminds me of the Thai restaurant in my hometown!! My bro is a big fan of this!! You know a lot of authentic Thai dishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow love to eat!!! of course you can, just slice it very thinly and it will be amazing!!

    Hey Kenny T, not quite enough to be shared :(

    Thanks mycookinghut! I hope you'll make this for him soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks tempting but I don't trust myself preparing raw prawns at home ..... hahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  7. well you can get fresh live prawns in Singapore, just leave the lime juice in for a little longer, it will "cook" the prawns.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin