Thursday, November 5, 2009

Muu Krop หมูกรอบ Crispy Pork




This pork is completely out of the world. It's crispy on the outside and really tender within due to the double cooking method used here (muu krop means crispy pork in Thai). In my younger days I would have cooked this dish everyday! You'll have to get ready a day or two in advance but it's worth all that wait. Make a big batch as they will be gone before you know it. Have it as a beer snack with a chili, lime and garlic dipping sauce, use it in a Thai salad, in stir fries or as a topping for your noodle soup. I'll be posting the different ways of using this pork very soon. Tonight muu krop is the co-star in one of my favourite Sino-Thai dishes, phat khana muu krop or kailan with crispy pork. oink oink!!!
P.S I should have made 2 kgs instead!!!

you'll need;
1 kg pork belly or more
1tbs of light soy
1tbs of dark soy
a sprinkle of sugar
dash of pepper
oil for deeping

Marinate pork belly with soy, sugar and pepper for at least 4 hours or overnight

Steam pork for 1 hour.

Remove pork from the steamer, prick the pork skin all over with a folk. Mix 2tbs of salt and 1tbs of white vinegar into a paste and rub it over the pork skin. Cut pork into 2cm strips and leave them in the fridge uncovered overnight, this is a very important step to dry the pork out.

Fry pork strips in hot oil til golden delicious.

Drain well and it's ready to be eaten!!

22 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh! you are so naughty!! Another round on the tan for me then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually bake the crispy pork. Next time must try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very naughty love to eat!! give me pork belly any day :)

    Yeah Anncoo this is the Thai method and the crackling is always so crispy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum, how crispy and delicious this looks. you're right would be perfect with a nice icy cold beer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey FL&B! very indeed!!!

    Thanks Maria! Perfect for todays weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to make crispy pork!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they look sinfully good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not as sinful as they looked but bloody tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 好香脆呀!我一定要學會!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 學會了,讓我知道呀!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhhhhhhhhhh......... these look better than my roasted pork , give me a beer pls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha they are different! we can make both of them when I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!!! you are our king!!! since ive eaten this amazing pork im dreamming of it at night and after years of surch my friend,Gal,found your site.TAHNKE YOU!!!!
    Dana from Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dana,
    Oh thanks!! I'm glad you have tried it. Can you get pork in Isreal?

    ReplyDelete
  15. would i be able to use rice vinegar instead of white vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favourite way to have pork belly now! Thank you so much for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can i keep it in the fridge uncovered for 6-8 hours instead of overnight? I know overnight the fridge will probably dry out the pork more making it crispier but if ur pressed for time will the results still be satisfactory?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin