Monday, November 2, 2009

Yum Neua ยำเนี้อ Beef Salad


There are so many Thai restaurants in Melbourne, you are more likely to get injured by one of their falling signs than hit by a drunken driver these days. Sadly most of them won't nurse you back to good health with their uninspiring and indentical menus and decor. Unless sugar laden, carrot centric, deepfried satay and roti with peanut sauce in a purple room with cheap artifacts is what you like :(. So until you next visit the "land of thousand smiles" or head north to Sydney, spending a few hours cooking Thai food is the only way to go.
It was the eve of the one month anniversary of 3hungrytummies and my dear friend H is here to see me before going for a 3 month holiday. I decided to do a Thai dinner as I really missed the whole ritual of cooking Thai food and also I have promised my friends to start posting some Thai recipes. A very last minute effort but I'm rather happy with what I managed to produce in 2 hours ( I don't cook on Friday remember ??? hope the other tummies are reading)
The result- 3 hungry tummies had a wonderful time yet again with the honourary hungry tummy.
P.S vary the amount of chilies and garlic according to your taste but please forget about making Thai salad if you think limes are too expensive and substitute with lemon instead!!! NO! NO! NO! and don't even think about using spanish onions to replace the shallots for the same reason!


serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
1 green mango, shredded
3 shallots, sliced
1/2 cup of mint
1/2 cup of vietnamese mint
1 chili, sliced
500g rump steak; marinated with dash of soy, fish sauce and sweet soy, grilled to your liking, sliced thinly (we like it rare!)
4 tbs of rice, toasted and pounded

for the dressing;
3 tbs of palm sugar
1 tbs of white sugar
5 tbs of fish sauce
juice of 1 lime
3 bird chilies, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
In a saucepan, melt sugars with fish sauce. cooled and add lime juice, chopped chili and garlic

Have your shredded mango ready....

Arrange the sliced beef over the mango as a Thai person would (very neatly and rather slowly)

Again in a Thai manner, scatter herbs chilies and sliced shallot very beautifully with a broad smile :)

Sprinkle the toasted rice powder and pour the dressing over..

One of the tummy was so hungry he offered to toss the salad

You'll love me a very long time after eating this :)

Another wonderful dinner in progress :) I served the salad with son in-law eggs , spicy calamari and plenty of steam rice! AROY MAAK MAAK!

H brought me flowers (taken from the parents' garden)

And a beautiful huntsman came all the way from the bush with the flowers.

25 comments:

  1. oh i am loving your salads and thanks for adding me to your list lol
    is a huntsman dangerous?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it! no a huntsman is harmless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a similar problem in NY with Thai restaurants. They're all the same and just use a lot of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The huntsman was just divine when lightly coated in lime juice and palm sugar. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and nice to meet you as well. Oh my, you've posted my favourite dish and with extra flavour with meat...love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this salad. My mom used to make a similar one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this salad. Thanks for reminding, would like to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww...that just looks so awesome....am drooling. I love all the ingredients. I must try this dish. Eating out here is very expensive.....hygiene is always in question. I really have to learn to cook more. I love Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey JLB how dissapointing is that??

    My little space , thanks

    FLB may you share your mum's version??

    Hey Anncoo please do !!

    Hey Mary Thai food is great when we do it correctly huh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Darling the huntsman is still having a good time here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi 3HT. This is one of my favourites. The Sarawak Golf Club cafe makes quite a nice version. Yours looks absolutely delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  12. this go well with your phuket posting! more thai on the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there,

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Mmm, I LOVE green mango, this looks awesome. That huntsman shot is ver cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredibly delicious salad! Love it! That is one giant spider!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks shaz

    Thanks full-time housefly! yeah the beef is rare to medium rare so it's pretty tender.

    Thanks Ben!

    Thanks Cinnamon girl reeni - the spider is a little smaller in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, lovely and yummy salad.
    Here I can hardy find any decent Thai restaurants. Your recipe comes in time to try at home for summer is around the corner.
    I love using lime even though I have to pay a bit more. It worth the extra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Christine! let me know when do make this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woww!!! it's really aroy mak mak!! ehehehhe.. You salad looks great!!! I love your recipe!
    By the way, are you of Thai origin?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks my cookinghut!!!!!!! oh my mum is Thai :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so delicious! I love the descriptions with the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to nominate you for a Blogger Award.Please visit my site and collect it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just tried it today with tofu instead of beef, along with son-in-law eggs. Loved it, couldn't stop eating. Thanks for the recipe
    -Suganya

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin