Thursday, November 5, 2009

Phat Khana Muu Krop ผักคะน้าหมูกรอบ Stir Fried Kailan With Crispy Pork


Like most of the stir fried dishes you get in Thailand, this one is of Chinese origin but there is something very Thai about it maybe because it is so widely eaten all over the kingdom. I have always loved this simple dish as two of my favourite things are in it, namely the kailan and the crispy pork!
Kailan is in season now so it's half of what I was paying about a month ago. I always go for those with much larger stems, don't be fooled by the younger and tender looking ones because they are often quite tough (if the centers of the cut stems are a powdery white, they will bound to be on the tough side). I went to 6 different shops before getting the perfect bunch that somehow met my standard and it's absolutely worth the trouble. Police were everywhere questioning suspected drug dealers and users alike as I was walking up and down searching for the perfect bunch (I would have been stopped and questioned if I were wearing a very loose jumper that advertised either Nike or Adidas :)
P.S the other 2 tummies despite not the biggest fans of pork belly was competing with me for the crispy pork slices, that says how good they really are!! For crispy pork recipe click HERE

serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
1kg of Kailan, picked and sliced at an angle (I got rid of most of the outer leaves :))
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 red chili, sliced
dash of oyster sauce
dash of light soy
white pepper to taste
1tsp of sugar

In a hot wok, fry sliced chilies and garlic for 30 seconds.

Add kailan, fry for 5 minutes add seasonings and cook vegetable til tender. Chuck in the crispy pork slices and fry for another minure.

I served this with Yam woonsen and plenty of rice.

A closer shot just to tempt you :)

16 comments:

  1. We love this dish but they are always very stingy with the pork :) Thanks! my recipe book is getting fuller everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, It is really simple! Can be done within few mins :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks love to eat! yes they are!! do try it and email the photos to me like u always do :)

    very simple indeed Anncoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and yummy! I love everything cook with crispy pork. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the nicest things are also the simplest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks great! i love pork belly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious & simple stir fry! The crispy pork is similar to roast pork, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi 3 hungry tummies, enjoyed reading your this posting. I like the way you put it, sounds very technical...but the dish looks sinfully delicious.
    Surewould love to try it too.
    Have fun and keep a song in your heart, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that looks delicious!! I would scoff all of that... serving for 1!! But wheres the ginger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks TINTIN! there will be more pork belly dishes on the way :)

    Yes WC simple is best sometimes

    Thanks Peggy!!

    Thanks petite nyonya! It is indeed the Thai version of roast pork but it's more tender and the crakling is always crispy

    Thanks Uncle Lee! Too technical? must be the engineering school thing ;) Please try it and let me know!

    Thanks Daniel! I bet you would! I am just doing it the way it should be but I don't see why You can't add some ginger in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kailan and crispy pork ... my fave as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, tempting dish!

    Yesterday, I had stir-fried Kailan! Love this vegetable very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha I guess it's something we grew up with noobcook!

    Thanks Christine! I'm going to have a lot of it before it's $7/kg again :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dish but very few restaurants actually have it on thier menu. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah Michele! I think kailan can be quite expensive during certain months but I don't see why they can't have it on the menu when it's in season?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are missing the fish sauce! Add a dash of that and perfect. Great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin