Friday, November 6, 2009

Yum Woonsen ยำวุ้นเส้น Mung Bean Noodle Salad With Pork And Prawns


I'm on fire with my "Thai food festival" at the tummies' kitchen! Since all tummies have been enjoying everything I cooked for the last few days, I decided I'll do another few Thai dishes before everyone is "Thai-ed" of it. This has to be one of the easiest and tastiest Thai salads to make and it's almost fat free! We had this together with the kailan with crispy pork to celebrate the one month anniversary of this blog. If you are a first time visitor to my blog, this is not a Thai food blog so do spend a little time on my older posts. If you are a big fan of Thai food there are more to come in the next few days :) until my fish sauce runs out anyway!!
P.S never before have I used so much chilies, lime, garlic, fish sauce and herbs in one week!!!!

serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
150g of mung bean noodles, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes
15 cherry tomatoes or 2 roma tomatoes, sliced (I got some baby ox tongue so it's not very colourful)
3 shallots, sliced
3 spring onions, sliced diagonally
1 small bunch of coriander, picked
3 bird chilies, sliced
12 prawns, shelled and butterflied, blanched
250g of pork minced, blanched
juice of 1 lime
4 tbs of fish sauce
1tsp of castor sugar

Blanch soaked noodles, rinse with cold water, drain well and place in a plate.

Add blanched pork and prawns.

Add sliced shallots and herbs.

Last but not least sliced chilies and tomatoes of course.

Add lime juice, castor sugar and fish sauce. Mix well and serve immediately!

16 comments:

  1. I love bean noodles. My mom used to cook sweet corn bean noodle soup topped with chicken when we were young, during Chinese New Year. She's such an awesome cook, just simply throw in anything and it would turn out so delicious. Maybe we were always so hungry...LOL. Love all the green salad on top. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Mary! now you are just like your mother!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really interesting , your use of different flavor and texture is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks AFTH!! since you like tang hun you'll like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very appetizing! Thai food uses a lot of sugar, chilli, lime... I remember once I tried mango rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Kenny my mum is Thai and I'm doing a Thai food week in the house :)

    Thanks Anncoo! I'll try to make sticky rice with mango or durian soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this kind of salad !! thanks for the sharing !!!
    and if you like to play in cooking come and visit my blog I have created an apple swing !
    see you soon !! Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi 3HT. I always thought you had a Thai connection. Now I know ! BTW, I just had a great dinner at Sage - a newsish fine dining restaurant in KL. Will post it after my Phuket segment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks pierre! I'll have a look!

    Hey CW! haha funny you thought that! looking forward to the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made this yesterday and it was the star of our picnic by the lake :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh really love to eat? It is indeed a perfect dish for a picnic. I had a picnic in the park too and I should have cooked something too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favourite dish!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby loves this dish, I will be making this soon!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 酸酸辣辣一定很好吃!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin