Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Yum Pet ยำเป็ด Thai Duck Salad From The Tummies' Kitchen


After a lazy afternoon lunch, me and one of the tummies met up with our friends B and R over a few drinks on Brunswick street. We invited B to join us for an unplanned dinner, picked up a few things from our local supermarket and some lovely wines from a wine shop. (thanks B for the wonderful wine!!)
I was determined to continue our food journey through the land of a thousand smiles and made do with the ingredients we had in the fridge and the food we just bought. I think I am very pleased with the result!!
This dish is fairly similar to the beef salad I posted yesterday, still being paired with some tart fruits and plenty of fresh herbs but I altered the dressing a little because of the gaminess of the duck meat.
P.S I didn't realise the camera lense was a little dirty hence the poor quality of the photos :(

serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
2 duck breast, panfried till golden outside but still rare inside, rested and thinly sliced
2 granny smith apples, shredded, soaked in lightly salted water
1 grape fruit, skinned and segmented
1 orange, skinned and segmented
3 shallots, sliced
1/2 cup of mint
1/2 cup of Vietnamese mint
1/2 cup of coriander leaves
1 red chili, sliced

for the dressing;
2 tbs of palm sugar
5 tbs of fish sauce
juice of 1/2 a lime
1.5 tbs of white vinegar
1 tbs of crushed garlic
1.5 tbs of crushed dried chilies
mix everything till well combined, taste for balance.

Pan fry duck with a little oil till golden, it should take about 3 minutes on each side.  Keep the rendered fat when you roast potatoes next :)

Arrange shredded apple nicely in a plate

Add sliced duck neatly

Add sliced shallots and mints

Follow by segmented citrus and sliced chilies

Pour dressing over

Mix and serve with plenty of steam rice. I served this with son in-law eggs (B's special request) and marinated raw prawns.

Not too bad for yet another unplanned dinner.

16 comments:

  1. Thai salad is one of my favourite. Your salad look real appetizing..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you buy just the duck breast in Melbourne ? Here in Kuching you have to buy the whole duck !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks TINTIN! :)

    Hey WC, yeah we can get duck pieces here. Use roast duck instead, I'll post a roast duck curry soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so appetizing and colourful. I love Thai salad sour and spicy... yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love any types of Thai salad! The duck pieces must have added more oomph to this salad, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The duck looks scrumptious ... have never cooked with it before, but I always order it when I go out to eat! Beautiful salad; I have no doubt it tastes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked duck before, this looks very straight forward. Thanks for yet another recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really good! I can imagine how all the flavours come together in that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A full-time housefly, Thanks!!!!

    Thanks petite nyonya !! and yes it did.

    Thanks Muneeba! A lot of people prefer to have duck when the eat out but once you've tried cooking it once, you'll know it's pretty easy to handle.

    loveto eat ,My pleasure!!!

    Thanks mycookinghut! a foodie always able to imagine how the taste works :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love Thai Salad's. Can't wait to try this!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. everytime is see the basil and mint leaves and LIME and lemongrass.. i get excited.. Thais is one of mah favourites.. oh yes it is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are welcome Tricia, let me know when you try this!!

    Thanks C&C! so many of us growing up in the tropics get very excited with that combinations :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love salad, esp in warm weather here. The dressing of fish sauce and lime is perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look like you are going to make some Thai salad soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My friend told me about this blog and she was right! I love everything here, it's easy to follow and everything looks ohhh so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks BIBI! Also thank you friend for me for spreading good words about my blog! Please do the same!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin