Friday, October 9, 2009

The Korean Torture Part 1


Trying to buy Korean food products has to be one of life's greatest tortures, if you are,
  1. Not going along with a Korean friend or two
  2. Not smart enough to put the squares and circles together to know what's written on the packaging
  3. Not being served by someone that can speak English
I imagine you'll be ticking all the above most of the time, if not all the time. And as a victim of this very cruel form of torture from the Far East myself, I've photographed a list of basic Korean ingredients with english translations to help you avoid, or at least limit further pain. I'll be presenting The Korean torture part 2 soon. :) Do let me know if this is of any help at all. And if it still doesn't work , look for the tub of chili paste yourself and rub it into the server's eyes and run out as fast as you can :)

Hot pepper paste gochujang/고추장


Korean chili powder gochugaru/고추가루 

Korean soy sauce  jinganjang/진간장 

Corn syrup mulyeot/물엿 

Potato starch noodle dangmyeon/당면 

Dried fern/brackens  gosari/고사리 


P.S of course you can also expect more Korean recipes in the coming weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Haha that's so true, we were trying to get the spicy sauce but got the korean spicy miso instead. Thanks for this guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yupe I do really do this for people like u :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. m wondering if its ok to substitute chinease soy n normal chili powder for ur bibimbap resipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. one can substitute the korean soy with a Japanese soy, but the chili paste is one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pls make me one seafood/chicken bibimbap! I don't want beef in it, thanks darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes i'll be making hwe dup bap next week, so it will be seafood :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,

    I wonder where can I get the hot pepper paste?

    Thanks :)

    --Dennis.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin