Sunday, June 20, 2010

Twice Cooked Pork & Rice Noodles In An Aromatic Broth 香滷豬肉河粉湯 - International Noodles Incident Party



I first made a similar dish using the leftover poaching liquor from aromatic soy poached chicken when A joined me for lunch on Monday. This is my second attempt with the emphasis on the broth and I am extremely pleased with my little experiment here. It is almost like Teochew kueh chap (粿汁), ka muu pa-lo (a Thai/Chinese braised pork leg dish of Teochew origin) and Vietnamese pho all in one delicious bowl. Grilling the pork with 5 spice salt and honey not only enhanced the flavour greatly but also made the final dish even more attractive. You may use chicken breasts but increase the cooking time by 5 minutes. The best thing about cooking such a dish is the beautiful aroma lingers on long after the bowls are emptied of their contents! 
This is also what I am taking with me to Penny's International Noodles Incident Party  and I hope she'll enjoy it!



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 4 as a one dish meal
you need;
4 pork fillets or 3 chicken breasts with skin on
6 bokchoy, cleaned and halved lengthwise, blanched just before serving
1 kg of fresh thin rice noodles, blanched just before serving
5 spice salt (1/2 and 1/2 of 5 spice powder and salt)
honey
2 spring onions, chopped
fried garlic oil 

for the poaching liqour;
3 cups of water
1/2 cup of soy
1/4 cup of dark soy
1/4 cup of rock sugar
1/2 cup of Shaoxing cooking wine
1 cassia bark
1 star anise
5 cloves
1 piece of dried orange peel
1/2 tsp of Sichuan peppercorns
1/2 tsp of coriander seeds
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
5 cm knob of ginger, sliced
3 garlic cloves
coriander roots (optional)
2 spring onions (white part only)

for the broth;
strained poaching liquor
4 cups of chicken stock
salt and white pepper to taste
dash of sesame oil
dash of fish sauce



Place all poaching ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 minutes.



Place pork fillets in to the boiling poaching liqour. Cook pork fillets for a minute then place the cover on, heat off and let pork pieces steep for 25 minutes. Strain poaching liquor then add in 4 cups of chicken stock, this will be the broth for the noodles. 


Prepare the bokchoy and toppings.



Drain pork pieces then sprinkle with 5 spice salt.



Grill on a hot griddle for a minute on each side. Brush pork with honey and continue to grill for a minute.



Rest the pork for 5 minutes before slicing into thin slices, meat is tender and juicy every time when cooked in such manner. Meanwhile blanch bokchoy and rice noodles.


Place some noodles, pork slices and bokchoy in a bowl, ladle some hot broth over and top with chopped spring onions and fried garlic oil. Serve immediately with cut chili in soy or garlic, lime and chili sauce. 



33 comments:

  1. What cooking wine did you use? This looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how flavourful the broth must be. And I love it that you grill the pork again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks fantastic! The pork looks really juicy and the broth must be so flavoursome with all the spices you put in it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I please get an invite! That looks so delicious and wintery. Thanks for coming to the party. What a great dish to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your poaching liquor and the broth - incredible flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering!!! Don't you just hate that these parties are only virtual???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harriet from CarltonJune 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM

    Well done again! This is perfect for such wet days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing- So pink for twice cooked- I will check out the link for the party- thanks for sharing-

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about this twice cooked part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Give me a bowl of this anytime! The pork looks so tender!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, the twice cooked pork in rice noodle soup look really delicious. Could I have a bowl, please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow how creative! Tender pork with delicious broth, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a sucker for pork!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to warm both my heart and soul. I am trying to imagine the aroma that lingers on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey another great dish from you. I must stock up on my spices before trying this. Where can I dried orange peels?

    ReplyDelete
  16. International Noodles Incident Party - sounds like my kinda party!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This bowl of noodle soup looks amazing! Can't wait to try this! My family loves anything with soup, especially my son ... he loves to slurps!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very unique! The pork looks delicious with that great list of ingredients. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WANT!! Just got back from dinner but this made me hungry all over again. The broth! The charred pork!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious looking mate! The pork looks irresistible and the broth sounds really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great one dish meal..... I can't wait to taste the broth!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks fantastic! Beautiful noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  23. j'essaye de sentir l'odeur à travers mon écran ça doit être excellent
    bravo et bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very addictive looking dish. I had signed up for the IIP and completely forgot about it. I need to whip something up and see if i can make it. Else I am going to be the Late Kate..

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is just chocked full of flavor! What a wonderful dish to bring to the International Noodles Incident Party. Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am bookmarking this - the aromas jumped off the page and surrounded me. I love broths- all types, all flavors all infusions.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Terribly tempting recipe...Perfect n beautiful clicks dear

    ReplyDelete
  28. That pork looks wonderful, as does the whole dish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. twice cooked pork, must be doubly delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. msihua,
    Thank you! I use shaoxing, any rice wine will do!

    Shirley,
    Thank you very much! :)

    Yasmin,
    Thank you very much! Do try it!

    penny,
    Thank you! Come over anytime!

    5 Star Foodie,
    Thank you very much!

    Mardi,
    Thank you! I can't agree more!

    Harriet ,
    Thank you! Indeed!

    Lady Ren,
    Thank you! It is still quite pink because the first stage of cooking was really a very gentle poaching :) Enjoy!

    Haddock ,
    I just came up with the method for this dish.

    KL girl in MELB ,
    Thank you very much!

    Christine,
    Thank you very much! As many bowl as you wish!

    shanshan ,
    Thank you very much!

    Eternally Distracted,
    Haha me too!

    rosa ,
    Thanks, try it soon!

    little panda ,
    Thank you and please do!

    Mr Noodles,
    haha I think so too!

    Tricia,
    Thank you! Make some for him! Slurping is the right way to eat!

    Pam,
    Thank you very much!

    Ms Baklover,
    Oh thank you very much!

    fitzboy,
    Thanks buddy!

    CW,
    Thank you!

    Trix ,
    Thank you very much!

    Fimère,
    merci beaucoup!

    Cool Lassi(e) ,
    Thank you! Better late than never, do it now!

    Lyndsey ,
    Thank you very much! :)

    Claudia,
    Thank you! The kitchen still smell of the spices the next day. I hope you will try it soon!

    Jay ,
    thank you very much!

    Jo,
    Thank you very much!

    Cherrie Pie,
    Thank you very much!

    noobcook ,
    haha thank you! You will have to try to find out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOw, I can imagine how flavourful this is! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the poaching liquor, but the dish as a whole looks and sounds outstanding! How I wish I could have a big bowl of this . . .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin