Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chili Oil 辣油 Layu



Layu or rayu (辣油, hot oil) is a commonly used condiment in Japanese cuisine especially when one is cooking or serving "Japanese Chinese cuisine". Although widely available, it is even easier to make it in the comfort of you own kitchen for a very small fraction of the shop bought ones.
P.S I will be posting the original Sichuan version which this is based on, meanwhile you may check out my Cantonese style chili oil HERE.



Heat up half a cup of peanut oil til smoking. Leave it for a minute then pour it over 1/4 of a cup of roasted chili flakes.



Add in a tbs of sesame oil and let it steep for 30 minutes.



Strain and it is ready for use.

6 comments:

  1. Loved this new dish....very interesting dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a delicious dish.
    You have the best recipes ever!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay,
    Thank you!

    Joy,
    Haha

    Betty,
    Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy, I am 2 hours from any Asian market, now I can make my own. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For how long will it keep fresh?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin