Friday, June 18, 2010

Risotto With Venison Sausage, Red Wine And Roasted Beetroot




The tummies wanted me to cook the same risotto (risotto with sausage, red wine and peas) again the very next day which I declined. I did compromise on making a different risotto using the venison sausages that we bought from La Parisienne Pate (Lygon Street, Carlton) at the end. I decided to pair the rather gamey sausages with roasted beetroot and the result is a delicious dish with the most amazing colour. 
P.S It might not be authentic but adding goat cheese and some walnuts might work well with this dish.



Recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 4 to 6 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
1 kg of arborio rice
1 onion, finely chopped
500 g of venison sausage, casing removed
2 beetroot, roasted*, cubed (beet leaves, chopped)
1.5 cups of warm red wine
7 L of hot chicken stock
500 g of venison, duck or kangaroo sausage
200 g of peas
200 g of parmesan cheese, grated
3 cm slice of butter
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
* to roast the beetroot - Wrap beetroot with foil and roast in a preheated oven at 180 C for 45 minutes.



Brown sausage meat with a little olive oil and set aside.



Chop onion and prepare the roasted beetroot.



Saute chopped onion with some olive oil til softer (do not colour) then add in the rice and coat the rice with the oil mixture, stir and toast the rice for a minute or two.



Add red wine and shake the pot til all the wine has has been resorbed by the rice.



Add enough hot stock to just cover the rice, give it a good stir and let it simmer on low heat til stock has been absorbed by the rice. Repeat the process til rice is al dente. (return beetroot and sausage meat to the pot 10 minutes into the cooking process)



When the rice is almost ready, add in butter, parmesan and beetroot leaves and stir vigorously for a minute. Check for seasonings.



Ladle some rice onto a plate and give it a good shake: it should just flow flat to all directions, otherwise your risotto is either too dry or it is overcooked. Drizzle some good extra virgin olive oil and more parmesan if your heart desires.

29 comments:

  1. hmmm..marvellous tummy...what a beautiful comboo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, look at the colour! It is incredible. I wish my husband and kids liked risotto but they don't. Any left overs for me???

    Take care and best wishes for a great weekend,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colour and the flavours! I love risotto and can have it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great color and flavors in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colour! I think venison and beetroot works very well together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! What a color!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awsome looking dish buddy! Are you having an Italian week?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very catchy and vibrant colour risotto..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great combination! 1 kg of rice is quite a lot for 3 of you, no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the pairing of venison and beetroot very much. The idea of adding goat cheese and walnuts sounds fantastic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very appetizing color n recipe...loved your presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Tummy..anda sungguh kreative tapi makcik sedang fikir..apa rasanya risoto merah ni?sangat unik.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always wanted to include beets in rice dishes; now I have got to do it, your risotto is too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. belle combinaison j'adore les betteraves ça doit être savoureux bravo
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am intrigued with your delicious risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reshmi ,
    Thank you very much! :)

    Natasha,
    Oh that is a shame. Oh I just used the leftover for something else.
    You too! x

    pigpigscorner ,
    Thank you very much! I was really surprised at the colour!

    Bo ,
    Thank you very much! :)

    KL girl in MELB ,
    Thank you! It actually worked really well together.

    Mel,
    Thank you very much!

    fitzboy,
    Thanks buddy! Not really but there will be a few more italian dishes.

    Priya,
    Thank you! I think so too!

    Tricia F,
    Thank you! Way too much!

    darren ,
    Thank you! I might actually try that next time.

    Jay,
    Thank you very much!

    makcikmanggis ,
    Terima kasih makcik! Rasanya enak sekali :)

    tasteofbeirut,
    Thank you! I hope your will try it!

    Fimère,
    Merci beaucoup!

    little panda,
    Thank you very much!

    Angie,
    Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi tummy..warna risotto you sungguh cantik..menggiurkan orang melihat untuk menjamu selera...you're a very cretaive cook..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey darling this risotto is out of the world... the same colour as my new lipstick :) We are going to be in NZ in 2 weeks, hoping we can come see you on our way back.

    Sophia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Red colored risotto!How much more pretty can they get? Very prosperous color:D
    Looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a gorgeous risotto! I love the red color and it sounds super delicious with venison sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lot of great flavors and what a beautiful color. That's a meal in itself! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks delicious with the great combo of ingredients! I will make sure my niece sees this as she loves venison!

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmmmmmmm i love risotto but takes so long to make!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Look at that beautiful colour! I read the last post too, and quite agree with you, I love the Food Safari series (although I've managed to miss the Italian ones).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi 3HT. I haven't got your email yet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The colour is amazing and I certainly will try to visit La Parisienne Pate next time I am in Carlton. Do you have the street number?

    ReplyDelete
  27. mohdandmeriam,
    Terima kasih makcik! :)

    Sophia darling,
    Thank you! It would be fantastic if you are able to make a stopover here xxx

    Jeannie,
    Thank you very much! Great for Chinese New Year hehe!

    5 Star Foodie ,
    Thank you very much!

    Lyndsey,
    Thank you very much! Indeed!

    Pam ,
    Haha thank you!

    Rebecca,
    Thank you very much!

    mr. pineapple man ,
    Thank you! Oh only 20 minutes :)

    shaz ,
    Thank you! You can still watch them online though :)

    Borneoboy,
    Sorry for the delay, I just sent it to you!

    love to eat,
    Thank you very much! It is 290 Lygon street!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin