Monday, June 7, 2010

Spicy Yard Long Bean With Crispy Pork Belly 香辣豆角五花肉



Another childhood favourite of mine. This simple and delicious dish has everything in it - crunchy vegetable, crispy pork pieces and the addictive hot and spicy sauce. You certainly need plenty of steamed rice to go with this. Substitute pork belly with skin on chicken tights pieces and it will still be very delicious.
P.S Our internet connection is a little erratic at the moment, hopefully I will be able to post more recipes in the next few days.



serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal
you'll need;
1 bunch of yard long beans, cut into 6 cm pieces*
300 g of pork belly, skinned and diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 cm knob of ginger, chopped
2 bird chilies, chopped
2 tbs of hot bean paste
2 tbs of oyster sauce
1 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of sugar
dash of Chinese cooking wine
corn flour solution
* blanch long beans for 30 seconds and refresh. This will retain the attractive vivid green when cooked.



Prepare the vegetables and aromatics. Marinate pork belly with salt and pepper and a little corn flour.



Fry pork belly pieces with a little oil til golden and crispy. Drain well and set aside.



Saute chopped ingredients with a little oil til fragrant then add in the seasonings and continue to cook for a minute. Add beans and fry on high heat for a minute.



Return the crispy pork belly pieces and mix well.



Add a splash of Chinese cooking wine and a little water and cook for a further minute. Thicken the sauce with a little corn flour solution and check for seasonings.



Serve immediately with plenty of steamed rice.

31 comments:

  1. Harriet from CarltonJune 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM

    It certainly has everything in it! Love the crispy pork :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really plan on making this one...I've never seen those beans here, but I'll just use regular green beans...Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love long beans. Usually I just stir fry with sambal and dried shrimps. Shall try out your method next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum..yumm...I love long beans. Must bookmark this delicious dish, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks super tasty! Love the addition of chili here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very delicious looking dish. It must taste so good with the crispy pork belly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not tried cooking this type of bean before...it looks wonderful with the spicy crispy pork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. la cuisson des haricots me plait beaucoup
    à essayer
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is delicious. The crispy pork makes the difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice dish! I'm trying to cut down on the pork fat though. I might try it with ground pork instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very simple and delicious indeed. I can see why plenty of steamed rice is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another homely dish! I remember eating this when I was young but I would always pick out the fatty pork. I think I will try to pork slice... And I didn't know that hot bean paste is used. I learn something useful today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely will try this when I can get some of those long beans. Boy give me a plate of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Golly - that looks like a mighty fine way to eat beans...
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks sooo good!!! i love beans with pork! yummm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Easy and elegant. Looking delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of 'yard long' beans- Maybe the same as string beans for me?

    Your new banner is lovely-

    This dish looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That looks yummy. I love long beans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. look so delicious!! love pork belly wt long bean..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love green beans and these look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great dish from you. The pork belly alone makes me want to cook this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very simple but I can see it is a recipe to keep!

    ReplyDelete
  23. your dish is very coulourful bravo and Iam sure a delish to taste !! Pierre from Paris

    ReplyDelete
  24. tis the fat that is so darn delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great dish buddy! I might have to increase the amount of pork belly!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you very much for all your comments. For those of you who are worry about the calories, most fat would have been rendered out during the frying process :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Discovered your blog, its a permanent bookmark, love your recipes and photos. Have already cooked a few and all delis!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just discovered your blog and am drooling over all the pork belly recipes. Would you be able to tell me what brand of hot bean paste you use? I am keen to you the pork belly and long bean dish next week!

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. gadewind,
    Thank you very much! So glad to hear that!!

    Rebecca,
    Thank you! :) For hot bean paste I normally get six fortune brand from Taiwan (六富) Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin