Thursday, June 17, 2010

Risotto With Sausage, Red Wine And Peas




There are a plenty of cooking shows on free to air television these days but there are very few that is actually worth watching. Food Safari Italian, recently concluded on SBS Television is an exception (the other being Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey). The tummies have been asking for risotto after watching a dish cooked by Alessandro Pavon (original recipe and video click HERE ). The tummies proclaimed this to be the best risotto they ever tasted and I think it is a pretty good one! 







serves 4 to 6
you'll need;
600 g of arborio rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, minced
1 cup of red wine, warmed
5 L of hot chicken stock
2 Italian sausage (I used chorizo), casing removed
150 g of peas
1/3 cup of chopped parsley
150 g of parmesan cheese, grated
2 cm slice of butter
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Prepare the ingredients.



Brown sausage meat and set aside.



Saute minced garlic and shallot with 3 tbs of olive oil til soften (do not colour) then add in the rice and coat the rice with the oil mixture, stir and toast for a minute or two.



Add the red wine and shake the pot til the wine has been resorb by the rice.



Add enough hot stock to just cover the rice, give it a good stir and let it simmer on low heat. Repeat the process til the rice is al dente. (return the sausage 10 minutes into the cooking process)



When the rice is almost done, add in the peas, butter, parmesan and chopped parsley and stir vigorously for a minute.




Check for seasonings and it is ready to be served.



Ladle some rice onto a plate and give it a shake; it should just flow flat to all directions, otherwise your risotto is either too dry or it is overcooked. Drizzle some good extra virgin olive oil.

31 comments:

  1. Uyyy, que rico, con chorizo tiene que estar para chupar los dedos.
    besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious risotto,had it long back..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chorizo and peas...this sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw the video, yours looks just as good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually add white wine to risotto, never red. Your combination looks irresitible, I have to try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so delicious... look nyummieeee... :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy delicious risotto! I like lots of peas in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi tummy..nampak sedap je..nak ganti wine tu dgn apa ya..chicken stock bolehkah..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a delicious risotto with lovely combo of chorizo and peas. Hey, congrats on winning the book at Bo's. You guys deserve it for all the wonderful creations coming out of your kitchen. I didn't know one of the tummies name was Suresh. Why, that sounds very S.Indian. Is one of the tummy from India? Sorry, very curious..

    ReplyDelete
  10. kesito,
    muchas gracias
    besos

    Priya ,
    Thank you!

    Bo,
    Thank you very much!

    CW,
    Thank you very much!

    noobcook,
    I normally use white wine too, just following this recipe and it works beautifully. Do try!

    JaSSNaNi,
    Thank you very much!

    Angie',
    Thank you! Me too!

    mohdandmeriam,
    Salam makcik, tak pakai wine pun tidak apa.

    Amanda ,
    muchas gracias
    besos

    Cool Lassi(e),
    Thank you very much! I am really looking forward to the book :)
    Yes my name is Suresh. I am half Thai and most Thai names are of Indian origin.

    Sarah Naveen ,
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harriet from CarltonJune 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM

    I love Food Safari too! I must have missed that episode. Your risotto is cooked to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dish looks disgustingly good! I don't like how the red wine gives it a dirty look finish to be honest but I think it taste good considering what goes into it and because you said it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your risotto looks fantastic. I have been using your method ever since I tried your risotto with prawns and peas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am making risotto next week. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Snap! We made our own version after watching the programme as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After seeing this, I have to try making risotto! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey tummy...this one z a differnt one for me...delightful...

    ReplyDelete
  18. il est bien crémeux comme je les aime
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a delicious dish!
    Love risottos!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sausage is a stroke of brilliance - it makes it a hearty main meal. And it looks perfect - creamy, rich, satisfying - well of course it is - it has the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This risotto looks mighty good; never ever made one with red wine but I am happy to say, it does look delicious and I am ready to try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi tummy! tak pernah lagi makan risotto, mcm mana rasa dia ya? hihihi...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful looking risotto. It is something I am not very confident making but I must really try with your step by step instructions. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saw that on tele too, great work buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had risotta for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I loved it and want to more!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have never had risotto before..never really thought about making it.

    looks very very yummy and cheesyyy hehe....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Food Safari...love it! This looks awesome. I'd load it up with heaps of parmesan

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adventures in Domestic Cooking,
    Thank you very much!

    Harriet ,
    It is a wonderful show! Thank you!

    Quinn ,
    Thank you for your faith in me :)

    love to eat,
    Thank you! I am very happy to hear that!

    penny,
    Looking forward to see what you are cooking!

    Temasek,
    haha that is just great!!

    Pam ,
    Oh I hope you will do that!

    Reshmi ,
    thank you very much! :)

    Fimère ,
    Merci beaucoup!

    Betty ,
    Thank you very much! xxx

    Claudia,
    Thank you! That is the beauty of Italian food :)

    tasteofbeirut ,
    Thank you! my first time using red wine in risotto too.

    ijayuji ,
    Eh rasanya enak sekali. seperti makan burbur yang sangat creamy!

    rosa ,
    Oh you must just try. It is really simple.

    fitzboy ,
    Thank you very much!

    Michael,
    Thank you! That is fantastic! I have more coming!

    Ann,
    Oh really you must try it. You will be a convert!

    Adrian,
    Awsome show! We certainly did just that!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin