Monday, June 28, 2010

Shredded Chicken With Rice Noodles 雞絲河粉 "Malaysian Monday 1"




Growing up in Cameron Highlands there was no such thing as our very own special dish to boast about. Apart from the freshest temperate vegetables and fruits, we very much followed the food trend of Ipoh which is the nearest major town. This was a favourite breakfast dish of mine; being not too far from Ipoh we got the best rice noodles (河粉 pronounced he fen in Mandarin or hor fun in Cantonese)and bean sprouts in Malaysia (some would say in the world). With some rice noodles and chicken in my hands the possibilities are endless but I decided I would share this wonderful but relatively unknown dish with you. This will be my first time joining my fellow blogger friend Shaz from "Test With A Skewer" on her weekly Malaysian Mondays. Start cooking and eating some Malaysian food and  join in too, we will announce something exciting next week.
P.S Click HERE for Ipoh Hor Fun - rice noodle soup with prawns and chicken.



serves 4 generously
you'll need;
2 free range chicken breasts of half a chicken
1 kg of fresh thin rice noodles, blanched just before serving
1 bunch of bokchoy, cleaned and quartered lengthwise and blanched just before serving
bean sprouts (optional)
spring onion, chopped
sesame oil
light soy
cut chili or pickled green chili in soy to serve

for the sauce;
2tbs of cooking oil
3 tbs rock sugar
12 tbs light soy
3 tbs dark soy
1 tbs sesame oil
pepper to taste
salt to taste
1.5 L stock
5 cm knob of ginger, sliced
1 spring onion (white part only)
3 garlic cloves
corn flour solution



Prepare the ingredients.



Heat 2 tbs of oil and add in the rock sugar til it turns brown then pour in the sauce ingredients except the aromatics.



Bring it to a boil then add chicken and aromatics. When the stock returns to a simmer remove pot from heat, cover and let the chicken steep in the stock for 20 minutes.



Remove chicken from the pot after 20 minutes, shred chicken when they are cool enough to handle. Thicken sauce with corn solution.



Pour some sauce over blanched noodles, add bokchoy, shredded chicken and toppings. Serve with your preferred condiments. Mix well and enjoy!

30 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so hungry now! But I'm going home in 2 weeks.. hohoho.. nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  2. God....why am I looking at this page when I am hungry??? The chili condiments makes my saliva gland aches! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irresistible dish, makes me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful dish! I am curious about how it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comme d'habitude, un plat délicieux.
    J'aime beaucoup ta cuisine.
    A bientôt et bonne semaine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is completely new to me. Beautiful looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to move to Ipoh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that sure looks good and I have to agree with you on Ipoh rice noodles and bean sprouts being the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I want to try the complex flavour of the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ting tong ting tong!!! hihihi.... waaaaaaa... suke dgn noodleslah my hb suke mkn noodles masuk list juga ;-) thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. msihua ,
    Thank you !Lucky you! I am sure you will be eating your way through KL.

    Quinn,
    Thank you very much! Make some it is very easy.

    Priya,
    Thank you very much!

    Tricia F ,
    Thank you! Cook some and find out!

    Nadji,
    Merci beaucoup!

    rosa,
    It is not the most popular dish but try make some to find out!

    makcikmanggis ,
    Terima kasih makcik! Ni sesuai untuk pakcik dan si kecil tu!

    Eternally Distracted ,
    Haha let me know and I'll come visit!

    KL girl in MELB ,
    Thank you! Hard to beat!

    the lacquer spoon,
    Thank you! Do try and you will love it!

    ijayuji ,
    Terima kasih! Senang kalau dia suka noodles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I want some now! I cooked some instant noodles tonight and I wish I was eating this instead! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for joining and sharing :) You know, I've never had this before? It looks similar to Ipoh Kuay Teow but with soy sauce instead of soup. I'm definitely going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious! Thanks for including lesser known dishes like this too, don't mind a good laksa recipe if you have one lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats one awesome meal.!!!!yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, you make it look so tasty....I really need to start working with more of those lovely noodles...I know my girls would love them

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy!!! What a great way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have almost everything right now to make this, except I only have one shallot.(easy enough to fix). The bok choy sitting in my fridge would be honored to go into this dish! hehe!

    I book marked your handy noodle reference page. I like how you linked the shallots and other great info to the parts of your blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So this is another version of Ipoh Hor Fun ..'kon low'. Yours look very good, time for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! I love rice noddles...and the way that you prepare it looks absolutely delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really delicious one yaar...And has such terrific flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tummy - I'll try to.. I just noticed at the intro that you were from Cameron's.. hahah.. the Boy and I got together in Camerons =) Lalalaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  23. so, where does all the food you cook go?! do u eat it all yourself? u should invite me to dinner :P hehe

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can see how the sauce will go so well with the silky noodles. Never seen this at a Malaysian restaurant before so it is a must try for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What I like about this dish is it doesn't involve any hard to find ingredients. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I need to try it out! Love this kind of food!
    Big hugs!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. little panda ,
    Haha this doesn't take too much longer than instant noodle lol

    shaz ,
    My pleasure! This is the dry version. I have just put a link to the version with broth.

    CW,
    Thank you! I will try to do a post on laksa soon!

    Sarah Naveen,
    Thank you very much!

    Chef Dennis ,
    Thank you! It is quite easy to make them in large batches!

    Michael Rivers,
    Haha Thank you very much!

    Lyndsey,
    Thank you! I hope you will try this :)
    I am glad those links are useful, I try not to put too much on one page :)

    Cheah ,
    Thank you very much! I love the soup version too! :)

    Juliana ,
    Thank you very much!

    Jay ,
    Thank you very much!

    Cool Lassi(e),
    Thank you very much!

    msihua,
    Haha how very romantic :) at least roses are cheap there :)

    CUMI & CIKI,
    Haha there are 3 of us here. Join me anytime!

    LMH ,
    Indeed. It is not a very well known dish, thats shouldn't be the reason though.

    darren ,
    Not at all! But you must get the fresh rice noodles.

    Betty ,
    Thank you! Make some soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin