Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gai Phat Nam Prik Phao ไก่ผัดน้ำพริกเผา Stir Fried Chicken With Roasted Chili Paste




We all need easy standby dishes that we can whip up in minutes and this is such a dish. Every Thai family has a version of their own and I am partial to one that I grew up with. There are no rules when it comes to preparing such a dish, so change the ingredients a little and make it your own version.



serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
3 skinless free range chicken breasts, sliced across the grains*
1/2 kg of green beans, topped and tailed and halved
5 cm knob of ginger, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
5 bird chilies, chopped (adjust to your liking)
5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
5 tbs of roasted chili paste**
dash of fish sauce
dash of oyster sauce
1 bunch of Thai basil, picked (about half a cup)
half a lime
* marinate chicken with a dash of fish sauce, white pepper and a little corn flour.
** available from Asian grocer. If you are unable to find it, send me your email and I'll email you the recipe.



Have all the ingredients ready.



Quick sear chicken in batches, this will keep chicken moist and the give the final dish that wonderful "breath of the wok" quality.



Saute aromatics with a little oil follow by the roasted chili paste. Cook for a minute before adding in the kaffir lime leaves.



Next in the beans and fry for a minute on high heat.



Return the chicken to the wok and cook on high heat for a further minute, season with fish sauce. Add some water it becomes too dry. Check for seasonings.



Finally chuck in the Thai basil, turn off the heat and mix well.



Squeeze some lime juice over and serve immediately as part of a Thai meal.

29 comments:

  1. Oh this is great! I still have a whole jar of the roasted chili paste in my fridge. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai Tummy..kacang panjang dan ayam dimasak dengan cara begini amat sesuai sekali:)terasa ranggupnya kacang panjang..krup..krap..really yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and delicious dish indeed. Plenty of steamed rice is all I need with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love thai dishes and especially the really hot and spicy ones. you guys have yummy food pretty much every night! do have a lazy night and just eat instant noodles? lol

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouthwatering dish, with rice definitely this stir fry goes awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, i've not seen that Thai roasted chilli paste before. I'd try and track down a jar but for the fact that my store cupboards are already full of jars of exotic oils, pastes and sauces that have only been used once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love simple and tasty dishes, this looks awesome with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous...i just bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another Thai week coming up? I must get a jar of the paste, lovely looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a jar of the roasted chili paste when I cooked your prawns with curry powder. I can see the endless possibilities of this paste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's it. Not reading your blog again unless I have food in my hand otherwise I end up with a growling tummy! See what you've done with these tantalising photos? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for such a simple recipe. I am sure this will become a family favourite of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, The name is a mouthful. But the food inspires just one word..Delicious!
    I am trying to learn Thai food. I hardly ever cook any at home cause I have some good Thai restaurants nearby that I do takeout or go out.
    A request - Now and then can you post Thai recipes that require just five ingredients or less? It getting very hot this side of the world and I want to whip up something real quick, yet tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks delicious! Easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Harriet from CarltonJune 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM

    Looks delicious and quite easy too. I think I'll just follow the recipe rather than being too creative lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. อร่อยมากแต่ไม่เผ็ดพอ

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks incredible and I'll bet it was fantastic with rice. I will probably have to reduce the amount of chili paste - that sounds a bit too much for my taste, but with slightly less fire I know I'd love this. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm...looks so delicious. Extra rice please!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Roasted chili paste sounds so good! I am bookmarking this one, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. simple et délicieux j'aime beaucoup
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like that the green beans were added to the chicken. Adds a crisp tender balanced texture to the chicken dish! One plate of this plus some rice and I am satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi tummy!! one of my fev dish! tp i tak pernah masak sendirik take away frm backstreet stall hihihi.. must try! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey buddy another delicious but easy to prepare dish from you. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks good! I might add some cashaw nuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love dishes like this...right up my ally...something you can throw together and adjust what you like(which I always do anyway :D) I got the Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce that you recommended, chicken and green beans in the fridge, just need the kaffir leaves.

    I am bookmarking this or printing it would be better! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Apart from other fab things I've learned reading your site, dearest, is that marinate chicken can make a great, yummy dish!
    ~B xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. I enjoy reading everyone of them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. If that's your standby meal, then I'm coming to live with you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your site ...its the best. please let me know how i could send you the e mail address. i would like to get the recipe for the chillie paste. great food...great site !!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin