Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fried Rice With Crispy Anchovies And Diced Chicken 江魚仔雞粒炒飯



I was meant to be making fried rice with salted fish and diced chicken (鹹魚雞粒炒飯) - a Cantonese classic that I adore but the packet salted fish was nowhere to be found. What I did find was some leftover anchovies, a very good substitute indeed since they are both a little "fishy and salthy". Feel free to substitute the kailan with peas or green beans, an extra sunny side up will be a wonderful addition too.
The packet of salted fish did turn up in my rather messy pantry later on, just another one of those unsolved "X files" cases at the tummies'.
If you love fried rice you might want to check out the following;
Malaysian duck fried rice
Thai fried rice with holy basil
Thai fried rice with pork and egg
Thai fried rice with prawns
Chinese fried rice - the very first dish I ever cooked



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
recipe per serve
you'll need;
1.5 cups of leftover long grain rice
3 stalks of kailan, cut into 2 cm lengths
100 g of chicken breast, diced*
a small handful of anchovies (ikan bilis), fried til crispy
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
1 egg
1.5 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of oyster sauce
dash of sesame oil
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
cut chili to serve
*marinate the diced chicken with a dash of soy, sesame oil, white pepper, Chinese cooking wine and corn flour



Prepare the ingredients.



Marinate the diced chicken.



Saute the chopped garlic with a little oil before adding the diced chicken. Cook for 30 seconds on high heat.



Push the chicken to aside and wait for the wok to heat up before adding a little more oil and crack in an egg. Break up the egg and let it set a little before adding in the rice.



Mix everything well and fry on high heat for a minute before adding the seasonings. Chuck in the kailan and continue to cook for a further minute. 



Finally add the crispy anchovies and spring onion and fry for another 30 seconds. Check for seasonings.



Serve immediately with some cut chili in soy. This is already a new favourite!

30 comments:

  1. 我也喜歡鹹魚雞粒炒飯! 用江魚仔來代替看來也很美味呀。

    ReplyDelete
  2. this fried rice look similar like kampung style, sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks mouthwatering! Love the 江魚仔!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there! waaaaaa.. this looks like nasi goreng kampung, i suke letak ikan bilis byk2 n sayur byk2 :D btw, untuk menu berbuka hari ni i buat ur curry laksa, thanks ya! tomorrow n3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the crispy anchovies and I can see why it is already a new favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nampk sangt sedap n simple..sesuai hidangn selepas raya yg hidangn penuh remph ratus kan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the 江魚仔 too! A good one dish meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some leftover anchovies and I am going to make this for dinner tonight! Made the sweet potato and lentil soup (with the patties of course) last night and it was a great success! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good looking fried rice using anchovies. I also a big fan of the salted fish version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I occasionally add the normal tinned anchovies in olive oil in my fried rice if I have nothing else to hand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to try this when I have leftover rice next! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband is not a big fan of anchovies but I can always leave that out of his portion lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ya, I have to agree with Sonia. Can add extra birdseye chillies? hehe.... Thanks for sharing such yummy meal. Have a great day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and easy meal perfect for weeknight dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A kind of paella? Looks awesome1
    Could it be any more tempting?
    No. I don't think so.

    Big big hugs,

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fried rice makes such a simple and satisfying meal...Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, so flavourful. I love salted fish with taugeh, but haven't dared buy any salted fish because everyone complains of the smell of dried prawns already, imagine when they get a whiff of the fish ;P. Love your quick dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ala ala nasi goreng kampung ni..ikan masin?ushh so sedap:)...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Salted fish with fried rice is fab! So I guess anchovies will do the same

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fried rice is one of my favorite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made every dish you cooked so easy! Simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That crispy ikan bilis are sure a nice touch to the fried rice. So yum.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Un plat qui se décline beaucoup et qui est très bon. J'ai mangé du riz frit indonésien et j'ai beaucoup aimé.
    Il faut que j'essaye ta recette.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am making this for dinner tonight but I might go easy with the anchovies lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Crispy anchovies? Oh my, this looks so, so, SO good! Another amazing recipe!
    Robyn x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think i've been deprived very badly for the past 2 weeks... I wanna bake and cook everything!! Your fried rice gotta be one of them ;)

    Thanks for the idea.. i'm so gonna do a ham yu chao fan one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  27. j'aime beaucoup cette façon de cuisiner le riz et l'association de saveurs qui va avec
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  28. I adore fried rice and love trying new recipes - there's always a little variation. The idea of the salty fish interests me.My family says "no." (They're too Midwestern) Maybe on the side????

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just made this recipe. It was great.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin