Monday, September 27, 2010

Sambal Udang 參巴蝦 Prawns In Spicy Sauce - "Malaysian Monday 13"



I made some sambal tumis for a friend and saved some to make this delicious sambal prawns for our dinner. There must be hundreds of recipes for sambal prawns and this is one that I grew up eating. Serve this as part of a Malaysian meal, it is also a perfect side dish to serve with nasi lemak. Come on make a big batch of sambal tumis and you will be able to prepare this and other tasty dishes such as sambal telur and mee goreng whenever you feel like. This is another family recipe of my nanny Fatimah, terima kasih Kak Timah!
P.S Come back next week for my first nasi lemak post.



serve 4 as part of a Malaysian meal
you'll need;
1 kg prawns, peeled and butterflied
1 cup of sambal tumis
1 onion, sliced
5 tbs of tamirind concentrate
5 tbs of coconut milk
salt to taste



Coconut milk and tamarind concentrate.



Prepare the prawns.



Saute sliced onion til soften then add in the sambal tumis, continue to fry for a minute.



Next add the prawns and cook for a minute or two then add in the tamarind concentrate.



Finally pour in the coconut milk and cook til the prawns are fully cooked but be careful not to over cook the prawns. Check for seasonings.



Serve immediately as part of a Malaysian meal.



Come back next Monday for my first nasi lemak post.



Our new friends Nate and Annie from House Of Annie will be hosting the September event. They have set up a form for all submissions.

39 comments:

  1. Did U know how bad I salivated looking at Ur prawn sambal? My goodness! This is truly divine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! sedap sambal udang nih sebab ada xtra santan. nanti saya nak cuba la tummy. thanx ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks completely wicked! We all need some standby sambal in our fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is killing me! It will be perfect for nasi lemak indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prawns is my most favorite. Can really eat extra rice for this lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks seriously good! I would love some for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sedapnya jika dapat makan pedas pedas begini..hari ni masak bubur ayam dan sayur buncis.Ayam goreng bertepung untuk sikecik:)..

    sori xdpt join Muhibbah Malaysian monday kerana belum ada masakan yg menarik:(may be tunggu Tummy jd hostkan...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 又香又辣看了我口水直流!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utterly delish and aromatic! I need a bowl of rice now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious looking dish! Looking forward to your nasi lemak post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are cooking my big favourite again!! Love it...yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg you're making me so hungry! I love sambal, love assam, love prawns... got to try this one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi tummy,lama makcik tak singgah dapur tummy..bukan apa hanya makcik tak sihat.
    terliur makcik tenguk sambal udang you tu..campur santan mesti kick ni..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic prawn dish and I am waiting for your nasi lemak post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who can resist a plate of good sambal prawns. They look delicious and goes really well with nasi lemak.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, delicious! I love that assam and coconut.

    Thanks for your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm drooling over this. It looks delicious! I would definitely like a helping now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it might be a mistake to read cookery blogs when I am hungry! I am looking for inspiration, and this looks great, but I want it right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, very delicious! I made a jar of your sambal tumis before, kept very well in the fridge :) I missed MM today,and looks like I'll miss it again next week (school holidays and impromptu travel plans). Great job on the prawns!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, it looks amazing! It's so nice when you have a sauce or condiment that goes well in so many dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so delicious..i am hungry for some now...

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh sonia..this is so good. I have to make malaysian night one of these days and this will just be the star attraction :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow delicious and they look so fresh I bet you can get great seafood there

    ReplyDelete
  24. Un plato interesante, me quedo por aquí para conocer tús recetas.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey buddy another great looking dish from your kitchen. Love to see how you serve up your nasi lemak.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You need to come to the States and give cooking lessons. Everything always entices.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum...looks spicy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So mouth-watering! Yummy with nasi lemak or white rice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wahhh.. now, u're making me hungweee!

    I wanna cook thisssssssss.. say, tomr! Hehehee!

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is good! I just love spicy food. I cant wait for your nasi lemak post, my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I haven't cooked nor eaten my dinner.. and I want some!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your prawn sambal makes me drool, looks so spicy and delectable!!!It deserves a try .

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, I can smell it from here! That is a great option! Looks sooo yummy!

    Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks really good. I want to eat with a steamy bowl of rice now :) However, I am always concern on how much tamarind as it can get too strong and I often put too much.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin