Thursday, September 2, 2010

Butternut Squash Risotto



This is a new favourite at the tummies' when we are eating together. It is cheap and cheerful not to mention how easy it is to prepare. I pureed half of the roasted pumpkin and added that to the risotto to give the rice that wonderful saffron yellow. Not too often I am satisfied after a meatless meal but  I certainly didn't miss meat on that night. Pumpkin and squash are in season now, grab some and try this out soon!
P.S Remember to always make extra rice for some tasty arancini the next day.



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 4 to 6 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
1 kg of arborio rice
1 onion, finely chopped
1.5 kg of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1.5 cups of white wine
7 L of hot stock
200 g of parmesan cheese, grated
extra parmesan for serving
3 cm slice of butter
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 stalks of thyme
1/2 cup of milk
sage leaves, fried in butter and set aside



Place squash cubes in a roasting pan; drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix in the thyme and roast in a preheated oven til tender and golden. Keep warm.



Puree half of the roasted squash with 1/2 cup of milk and set aside.


Saute chopped onion with some olive oil til soften then add in the rice and coat the rice with the onion mixture. Stir and let the rice toast with the oil for a minute or two.



Add white wine and shake the pot til all the wine has been absorbed by the rice. Add enough stock to just cover the rice, give it a good stir and let it simmer on low heat til stock has been absorbed by the rice. Repeat the process til rice is al dente.



Add in the squash puree during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Finally add in the butter, grated parmesan and stir vigorously for a minute. Check for seasonings.



Serve risotto with some of the remaining roasted pumpkin, shaved parmesan and sage fried in butter.

29 comments:

  1. I first thought it was a risotto Milanese.. beautiful colour with the puree squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice substantial vegetarian meal. Will certainly give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can switch from Malaysian food to Italian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good dinner idea! I can see why it is a new favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Yummy :)
    Just loved it, will try there for my dinner today as i Like various Risotto's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harriet from CarltonSeptember 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM

    I was given a few pumpkins and I think I might try this out. Looks extremely tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi tummy! i tak pernah try lagi masakan mcm ni, tgk mcm mkn bubur jer kan :D biasanyer kalau buat guna beras biasa tu mmg tak jadi lah kan? ehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done with yet another delicious meal buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like porridge to me. Love it. I can eat a big bowl. Maybe I should try sweet potato risotto :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is good stuff. The roasted pumpkin and the sage leaves must have given unbelievable flavour to the risotto :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a flavourful Risotto! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good one! I want to try this soon. Was already planning on it but now seeing yours, wah, confirm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous! What a great risotto!
    And beautifully vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i need to make risotto.Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great way of using seasonal vegetables. Looks like a fabulous risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds SO GOOD!!! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a special risotto! It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh how absolutely scrumptious! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this once and it was so yumm!!! Now I have to make this again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks wonderful. I've made a baked pumpkin risotto and added butternut squash to mine as well. They just seem to go together pumpkin and butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am going to cook my first risotto ever, please wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a healthy dish full of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A delicious and simple meal to make and satisfying on a cool day in the fall. Our fall season is around the corner and I can't wait for the fall crop! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow that looks so delicious... I love veg meals. This is going into my personal stash!
    Robyn x

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the added crispy fried sage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awww, as usual you cooked up a winner!
    I love veg meals!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great risotto, love the colour. I must admit when I make vegetable ones I always add a teeny bit of bacon to it ;P Except when I do a mushroom risotto, that can stand alone.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin