Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Char Kway Teow (Teowchew Version) 潮式炒粿條 - "Malaysian Monday 10"



Being away from home I often have to gather all the ingredients just to satisfy my craving for a certain dish, how I wish there is a hawker center somewhere near me! Char Kway Teow (炒粿條, meaning fried rice noodles in Hokkien) can be found in every city and town across Malaysia and Singapore and this is just one of the many versions I have tried over the years. This version actually contains Hokkien noodles as well and it is slightly darker than the Penang version (which I will be making once I am able to find some fresh cockles). I have "learnt" all the different versions by standing in front of the blazing woks in different hawker centers and roadside stalls, observed then a few trials at home. This is best prepare in individual serving.
P.S I have been away from the computer for a few days for personal reasons but I have been cooking and will try to post in a regular fashion. I will come by to all your blogs and say hi as soon as I am able to do so. Happy cooking :)



recipe per serves
you'll need;
a handful of fresh thin rice noodles
a handful of Hokkien noodles
5 prawns, shelled
sliced fish cakes
fresh cockles (optional)
1 Chinese sausage, sliced
2/3 cup of bean sprouts
small bunch of Chinese chives, cut into 5 cm lengths
1 egg
1 tbs of chopped garlic
lard or oil
1 tbs of dark soy
1 tbs of caramel sauce
dash of fish sauce
chili sauce
salt and pepper to taste



have the ingredients ready.



Saute chopped garlic with lard or oil before adding the prawns, fish cake and Chinese sausage. Mix everything well and fry for a minute before pushing everything to one side of the wok.



Add a little more lard/oil and add in both types of noodles. Stir fry on high heat for 30 seconds before adding the seasonings and continue to cook for a minute.



Make a well in the middle of the wok and crack an egg in. Cover the egg with the noodles and leave it for a little while for the egg to set before mixing everything up.



Finally toss in the bean sprouts and  Chinese chives



Fry for a further 30 seconds on high and check for seasonings.



Serve immediately with some chili sauce or sambal.



Our new friends Nate and Annie from House Of Annie will be hosting the September event. They have set up a form for all submissions.

29 comments:

  1. Your char kway teow looks fabulous! Looking forward to the Penang version too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a while since I had CKT...Looks as good as the hawker version :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. marvellous tummy...look so rich!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the use of two types of noodles. I've seen people order this but have never tried it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harriet from CarltonSeptember 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM

    Looks delicious! I have tried the Penang version and I am looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Una receta deliciosa y jugosa.
    Beso.
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I don't feel like cooking it myself, often because of my hot plates stove and the inability to have proper wok hei without a blazing fire.

    Tho sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your version look scrumptious as always. Is it as good as the Hui Sing Hawker centre one ? I love the Chinese Lap Cheong !

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy yummy! you can open shop already :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful mixture of kway teow and noodles goreng....mmmm. Make me fill like I'm back home now and yet now! I need to cook, too.....mmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaahhh, you are making me SO homesick and SO hungry at the moment. I have got one very serious char kway teow craving right now :) It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo...char kway teow! Another favourite of mine. I love it with red sweet sauce and local clam (sze hum). haha... Yours look as delicious! Enjoy your day.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great as ever when are u doing a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This noodle dish looks fantastic Suresh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something I would love to try! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MMMM everything you post looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is new to me although we have tried the Penang version :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great! Hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so delicious...I'm sure I've missed many of your posts...I'll have to go back and do some reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that looks so yummy! So many prawns too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just had this on Sun, cooked by MIL. Yours look absolutely delicious and I love with a lot of "liao", yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great dish buddy! Looking forward to the other versions too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this recipe! Your blog always has beautiful aromas :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love char kway teow and I want some now! Yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. 我也要來一盤。炒得很香呀!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks fantasic!
    How did I miss this post!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hm, interesting that you add mee to the kway teow. Which hawker stall does it like this?

    Thanks for your MMM entry!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin