Friday, September 10, 2010

Panko Crumbed Sweet Potato And Red Lentil Patties



One of the tummies pointed out at a lentil patties' recipe in the paper a while back and when I went searching for it, it was gone. Years of fish cake making has given me enough confidence to come up with these tasty vegetarian patties. It takes no time to make and they are so delicious even the most diehard carnivores are going to love them. They are delicious with just a simple dressed salad but do come back tomorrow to find out how they are served at the tummies'. I am looking forward to the weekend; catching up with friends, my reading and all my favourite blogs.






Before we go on to the recipe, I would like to wish all my Muslim friends and readers  Salam Aidilfitri!



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
makes 12
you'll need;
500 g of sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1.5 cups of red lentil washed and soaked for 30 minutes, boiled til tender then drained well
1 bunch of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbs of cumin powder
2 tbs of coriander powder
1 tbs of ginger powder
1 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of garam masala
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of flour
panko breadcrumbs
oil for frying



Saute onion and garlic with 3 tbs of oil til soften then add in all the spices and cook for 2 minutes on low heat. Set aside.



Boil both potatoes til tender, drain well and set aside to cool.



Roughly mash half of the cooled potatoes.



Mix in the spiced onion mixture, chopped coriander and cooked lentil. Season well with salt and pepper. Form sweet potato mixture into 12 equal discs and leave in the fridge for an hour or two to firm up.



To crumb the patties - coat patties with flour follow by beaten egg and breadcrumbs. 



Fry patties in batches til golden and crispy. Drain well.



Serve immediately with some dressed rocket.



Crunchy on the outside and soft and moist in the middle. Come back tomorrow to find out how I served these little beauties.

24 comments:

  1. Delicious. I actually just had sweet potato patties for dinner. Happy holiday!

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious. Thanks for the recipe! W X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to make this my my vegetarian housemates. They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These patties rock! I would really enjoy eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks delicious and I am very curious about what you served it with :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh lala! My Mum sure will love this as she's a vegan. I'm drooling too...hehe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your vegetarian dishes! Making the squash risotto for my daughter tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great looking patties and bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super clever. I love that you used panko breadcrumbs.. They make anything deep fried taste amazingly crispy. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another recipe I am going to try. Btw we are having kailan with prawns tonight.. can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yay! Another use for my panko breadcrumbs. I have half a bag left from making scotch eggs and was wondering what else I could use them for. This recipe will come in useful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi tummy! thanks for the hari raya wishes.. i nak dtg raya ni, ada cookies tak? hihihi.... masuk list, nmpk menarik ni ;-) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, great work tummies! Soudns delicious. A bit like vadai crossed with mashed potato :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulously simple and it looks very delicious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such delicious veggie patties! love the panko breading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. veggie tummy.....fabulous!!!such a good one..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi my dear tummy...cantik "kad" raya tu..next year makcik nak kad raya betol tau hehe...kuih tu nampak sedap seakan akan sejenis kuih india...boleh cuba nanti:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look beautiful! I am excited...I got teo great veggie burger today, this one and a quinoa with goat cheese one. I am going to make this for sure! Your photos are always stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love red lentils and sweet potatoes.
    Thank you I need to try it out..as I don't use to cook sweet potatoes.
    That dish looks so delish!

    Big hugs,
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. i made this tonight! very happy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Panko breadcrumbs have added really good texture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rox
    2 questions please. (1) Does one boil the sweet potatoes as well, or are they only cubed and combined with the boiled/cubed potates?
    (2) Recipe states: "Roughly mash half of the cooled potatoes." What happens with the other half... is that half added without mashing to the rest of the mix for texture?
    Answers are appreciated, as coming across this blog has just made my cook's heart sing (who needs lessons in Malaysian food - with your guidance, I can only excel. What an excellent chef you are - your food not only looks superb, I can almost taste each dish as I look through your presentations and graphics. Always a pleasure to know talented folks like you, who truly care about what they do. Keep rocking (and cooking of course).. cheers

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin