Sunday, November 8, 2009

Khao Phat Gung Sai Khai ข้าวผัดหกุ้งส่ไข่ Thai Fried Rice With Prawns


I love every type of fried rice, be it Chinese, Malay or Thai. This is another Sino-Thai dish that was basically what I ate everyday in Ko Toa during my diving trip. I would stand in front of the street vendor near my hostel and just watched the little Thai lady cooking up my fried rice and always "sai khai" :) (meaning to add an extra fried egg) So this is basically a recipe from that little Thai lady in a way, khop khun maak krap!!!
I also styled the dish as she would, very neatly presented with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes on the side. Omit the tomato ketchup used in this recipe if you must but it just adds that little "Thainess" to it and I bet you will love it too.
P.S If you like stories about travel, food and architecture, check out my friend CW's blog http://cwfoodtravel.blogspot.com. He is currently sharing his experience from his last trip to Phuket.

serves 4 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
4 cups of cold rice
250g of prawns, shelled and halved lengthwise
250g of kailan, sliced thinly at an angle
7 eggs
3 spring onions, sliced thinly at an angle
1/2 onion, sliced
coriander leaves and sliced chilies for garnish
3 tbs of light soy
2 tbs of tomato ketchup
1 tbs of sugar
1 tbs of oyster sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Fry prawns and garlic til prawns are cooked, set aside (this prevents the prawns to be overcooked).

Crack 3 eggs into the same heated wok and scramble it lightly.

Add rice and mix everything well, fry for 3 minutes on high heat and add seasonings.

Chuck in the sliced onion and kailan and continue to fry on high heat til the vegetable is cooked without losing its crunch. Return the cooked prawns and spring onions and stir for another minute.

Serve with a fried egg, garnish with lime, sliced chilies and coriander sprigs. Now comes the best part; squeeze the lime over the rice, drizzle some chili, lime and garlic sauce over, break the yolk and enjoy!!! Aroy Maak!!!

25 comments:

  1. What a hot day, I don't feel like slaving in the kitchen. This looks super yummy and simple to make, dinner sorted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaaa....the 4th tummy also get hungry already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very hot indeed loveto eat! glad I've turned your kitchen into a Thai restaurant!!! :)

    Thanks Anncoo! haha you know what to do next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Transported me back to Bangkok looking at this pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so tasty!!! and the perfectly fried egg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely with all the colourful garnishings! I love runny-yolked egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Arwen from Hoglet K!! That was the best bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stumbled across to your blog and bookmarked it right away, this is a great looking fried rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Michele! Glad you like the blog and my food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fried egg on top of this mouth watering fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks KennyT! Sometimes I use duck eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 太美味了!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE Thai food n ur fried rice looks so delicious! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy...looks really delicious, we call this nasi goreng.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love fried rice.. i just had that on friday night when i fried for my cell group members of 10.. hahhaa.. i put lots of ingredients, sausages, crab filament, eggs, onions, garlic, ikan bilis (anchoives) and they walloped all .. haha... i m going to try yours one day..put in kailan too as well.. thai style? great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh by the way, i have a personal blog at www.reanaclaire.com
    hope u can visit when u r free, thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Zurin!

    Thanks Retno Prihadana!! Ini nasi goreng Thai! :)

    Thanks reanaclaire! your fried rice sounds great! will check on your other blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad that you write out in the recipe cold rice. Many people making this for the first time think that you add freshly steamed rice, which ends up in a sticky disaster. The runny eggs look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Fresh Local And Best! My non Asian friends always have that sticky fried rice disaster! We grew up with the tradition of using left over rice luckily :)

    Thanks Mycookinghut!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love fried rice , I can eat it everyday ! This is a very good combination of ingredients used and it has all the favourite ingredients I love..... I'm a great fan of Thai and Japanese food.....pls cook extra for me next time ! I want my egg with runny yolk...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. the cold rice trick is key: thanks for sharing that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pearlyn,
    Will cook extra for you next time :)

    Amelia,
    That's the main trick :) you are welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin