Thursday, September 9, 2010

Phat Khana Gung ผักคะน้ากุ้ง Stir Fried Kailan With Prawns



This is what I love cooking on my days off. It is delicious and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, leaving me more time to catch up with all my reading. Kailan is in season now and there is no better time to enjoy this delicious vegetable. If you prefer a naughtier version of this check out Stir fried kailan with crispy pork.
P.S For my friend K who thinks cooking Thai food takes up too much time, this one is for you!



Serve 2 as part of a Thai meal
you need;
10 - 12  prawns, peeled and butterflied
4 stalks of kailan (Chinese broccoli), cut into manageable pieces
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bird chilies, chopped
1 red chili, sliced
1/2 bunch of Thai basil or holy basil, picked
dash of fish sauce
dash of oyster sauce
dash of light soy
1/2 tbs of sugar



Prepare the ingredients.



Saute the chopped ingredients with a little oil before adding the prawns, fry on high heat for 30 seconds.



Add kailan and the rest of the chilies and continue to cook for a minute. Add seasonings.



Finally add the Thai basil, turn off the heat and mix well and check for seasonings.



Serve immediately as part of a Thai meal with plenty of steamed rice or.....



As a very satisfying "one dish" meal - on a bed of rice with a fried egg. Aroy maak!

27 comments:

  1. I'm the first one here! Lovely presentation and I kailan very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very easy and simple delicious ingredients! I can manage that:D Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another charming dish yet...the yellow flowers of the kailan look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi tummy... lately nih saya malas betul nak masak-masak. tapi kalau dapat lauk macam nih tentunya sedap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great meal- I love prawns although I tend to overcook!
    Love any meal with a fried egg-

    ReplyDelete
  6. what can I say? This one is super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great simple meal! As the weather is getting warmer we all need to spend less time in the kitchen too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! A great meal to share with family and friends. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe! I am glad you are posting some delicious " Thai fast food" The last time I bought kailan it was 9/kg, good to know it is in season now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to try this out over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious dish Suresh! I am going to cook this for my family tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes...prawns....my favourite!! That's just enough for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awsome looking dish and I like the fact it only takes 10 minutes to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  14. such an easy one tummy...Go Green Rock Onnn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 好簡單又美味得一道菜呀!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi tummy! genki desuka. saya pun mcm kak hana lately sgt malas masak2, i mean nothing special lah msak mcm biasa malas betul nak snap gmbr, saya suke thai style mkn nasi putih, mesti ada telur tak pun khai thiaw dun know how to spell :D yummylicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, this looks good! Now to think on how to make it vegetarian so I can cook it for the household... XD;;

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! I can have the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A recipe with a perfect composition of ingredients. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simple, healthy and looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks ridiculously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The last shot made me drool on my keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love such simple and light recipes!
    That looks yummy!
    Great presentation, too!

    Big hugs,

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great example for a quick Thai dish with great results. Love the fried egg version. THere's some so..happy.. about fried eggs :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummy! So many prawns and I love the fried egg lol

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin