Sunday, September 26, 2010

Warm Eggplant Salad 蒜油拌茄子



This is such a simple dish I was contemplating if it should be posted at all. But It is so delicious and I know I will make my vegetarian friends quite happy. This is one of my favourite childhood dishes, many different vegetables are simply blanched and dress with the same dressing. Try it with coz lettuce, bokchoy, kailan or even broccoli.
Another good week in term of blogging as my blogger friends continue to trust me with my recipes, thank you guys....
My friend and a fellow Malaysian in Bangkok Ija from Arah tried out 3 recipes this week;
Taiwanese beef noodles,  Cold tofu with crispy garlic and dried shrimps and Crumbed boxing chicken
Another Malaysian friend in Nagoya, Hana from Hana's family tried my Curry laksa
P.S I won't have access to a computer for the next few days but regular post will be posted soon.



serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal
you'll need;
1 kg of Asian eggplants
4 tbs of garlic oil
3 tbs of oyster or mushroom sauce for a vegetarian version
2 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of sugar
pepper to taste



I always have a bowl of this on standby.



Prepare the dressing.



Cook eggplants til tender then drain and cool slightly.



Peel of the skin and mash it lightly with a fork to produce long silky strands.



Arrange eggplants on a plate and pour the dressing over.



Sprinkle with some chopped spring onions.



A delicious vegetarian side dish is ready. Serve it immediately as part of a Chinese meal.

22 comments:

  1. Simple and delicious looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! I grew up with something similar to this too. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great simple dish buddy. You are welcome to use the computer anytime you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are such beautiful eggplants! You know what, I have never cooked with eggplant before! Eggplant should definitely be on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I think this might just be the way to make the housemate eat eggplants. He hates it but is opened to trying it out in new dishes so I'll start him out on this, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved it .. We make a egg plant mash which is similar but essentially Indian flavors.

    Do you cook with sweet potato leaves , give me the link if you have a recipe already...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously am not a brinjal fan since I was a kid. But lately I felt like trying it again...

    Ur salad looks fab!

    Tried Ur yummy crumbed boxing chicken, but will be posting it later on, coz too many post in que...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh...they look so good.. reminds me of my younger days.. long time i didnt do this dish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious and I am cooking this tmr!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! I remembered this dish very well, my mom used to make it for us when we were young! Very easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eggplant, and your version does look really tasty! I have never seen in quite prepared like that before....and why wouldn't we trust you? You are a super blogger with great recipes!! Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any dish with eggplant...I am up for it. Looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ta version me plait beaucoup à noter
    j'aime les aubergines quelque soit la recette
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will try this when I am able to get some Asian eggplants next. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love eggplants and this is so simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I love this, with plenty of garlic, but seems eggplants are not good for the eyes! That's what my mum used to say. But eggplants or no eggplants, now need to have so many pair of glasses~magnifying!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Initially I thought this is a savory chee cheong fang :P. Looks nice, I am learning to appreciate more of eggplant :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. so simple yet so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The eggplant photo is lovely! Any more eggplant ideas, please let me know - I love it - although eggplant overdose always give me ganglions :-(

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin