Friday, February 26, 2010

How To Render Animal Fat


A liitle chicken/pork fat goes a very long way, it adds a wonderful aroma and luxurious mouthfeel to any stir fry dish. Before you go "No way I'm going to eat that!", think Hainanese chicken rice, KL hokkien noodle, potatoes roasted with duck fat, pastry made with lard and the list goes on. You only need very little of this liquid gold and it should not be consumed on a daily basis of course.
P.S pork and duck fat can be rendered the same way.

The wonderful by product - crunchy crackling.

Place chopped chicken fat and skin with a little water in a pan, slowly bring it to a simmer.

Once the water has evaporated, the fatty bits will start to fry in their own fat.

Let it render very gentle til fatty bits are golden. Drain cracklings and store fat in a jar.

9 comments:

  1. Oh look at those crunchy bits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We come from the same planet!!! I love chicken fat too, it's great to be used to stir fry veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that makes me want matza balls. And cracklins. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I would snack on those crackling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I'm glad there are people that get love the naughty bits! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just rendered chicken fat for the first time using your instructions and it turned out great! Thanks for the tutorial, I'm planning to use it to fry some extra-delicious noodles!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin