Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homemade Dashi 出汁, だし




Dashi can be described as the heart and soul of Japanese cooking. There are of course instant dashi stock that you can get these days but nothing beats a good homemade one. It is dead easy to prepare and once you have done it the first time, you'll never touch the instant dashi powder again!
P.S Not the best photos but you'll get an idea :)

you'll need;
2 pc of dashi kombu (kelp)
15 gm kezurikatsuo (dried bonito flakes)
5 cups of water
dash of salt





cover kombu with water in a pot and let it stand for 30 minutes. Turn the heat on and simmer uncovered on a very low heat for 15 minutes, little bubbles will start to appear.

Remove the kombu; it should have doubled in size by now, I keep it for another use. Empty the bonito flakes and a little salt into the stock and allow to steep for 5 minutes.

Strain broth and it is ready for use.

11 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite soups-I love the way it goes all cloudy....yum!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I'll chuck out my instant dashi now hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh didn't think it is this easy :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasha,
    Haha thank you! :)

    CW,
    Haha do it now!

    rosa,
    Oh it is dead easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made dashi!! woww thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew it was so easy? thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..something new for me..looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea this is so easy! No more instant for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, I wish these ingredients were available here so that I could try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to search for those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  11. dead easy indeed...gottogo make some.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin