Monday, April 26, 2010

Mac And Cheese From The Tummie's Kitchen


Another well loved classic this time from the U.S.A and another first for me at the tummies' kitchen. The last time I made mac and cheese was a good 10 years ago, using packet sauce of course. After my success with the shepherd's pies using those individual ramekins; I have been thinking about different ways of using them again, apart from several delicious pies I had in mind mac and cheese also made it to the list. Making white sauce for the first time was both exciting and nerve wracking, thank god it was a lot easier than I thought PHEW! I added some peas and pancetta for extra colour and texture. Do get good quality cheese for this dish it is after all named mac and cheese for a reason.
P.S with no particular guidelines, I cooked a whole packet of macaroni which will feed 6 hungry adults easily, so do adjust the ingredients accordingly.


Serves 6
you'll need;
oven preheated at 200 C
500 g of macaroni, cooked til al dende and drained
150 g of gruyere 
150 g of smoked cheddar 
100 g of parmesan
1 l of milk
3 tbs of butter
3 tbs of flour
1 onion, sliced and saute (optional)
250 g of pancetta or ham, cubes and fried (optional)
250 g of peas (optional)
salt and pepper to taste




Prepare all the ingredients while the pasta is being cooked.




Cook macaroni with plenty of salted water til al dente and drain well.


To make the white sauce - melt butter in a pot then add in the flour, mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat. Slowly add in the milk and with a whisk, continue to stir and whip til the sauce is smooth and thicken. Remove from the heat and stil in the 3/4 of the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.




Mix pasta, onion, peas, pancetta and cheese sauce in a large pot and mix well. Check for seasonings.




Fill individual ramekins or baking tray with pasta mixture, top with the remaining grated cheese and fried pancetta.


Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes til golden and bubbling.

Serve immediately with a green salad. Another first and another success at the tummies' kitchen, I'm very pleased with that!

41 comments:

  1. 終於第一次留言!我好喜歡呀!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so perfect! My boys will be most happy to have this delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eee! looks so cute.. i like!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac-n-Cheese is one of my favorite meals. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ramikins idea! I think my next batch will be done that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the addition of the pancetta and peas...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely individual mac and cheese, I love the pancetta and peas!
    So are you cooking less Asian food during colder months? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh la la love this wish more folks made it from scratch

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want some of these ramekins too and well done on your first white sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gawd! That looks like a huge amount of food! Did you finish all of it???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the melting cheese. Great recipe!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...so cheesy and delicious...mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Probably the best example I have seen, any chance you could send me some in the post to try? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm mac and cheese, the ultimate comfort food. Cant believe you haven't made it in 10 years! But I kind of understand, I haven't made it for about 5 :)

    I love how you've added pancetta and gruyere.. adds that gourmet touch..

    www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your version of mac-n-cheese with pancetta and peas! Just irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beaucoup de fromage, j'adore cette version
    je note
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not made Mac and Cheese for a long long time. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hai Tummy!!!maaf lewat hari ni..wah menu "ala barat" ya..anak bongsu makcik sangat suka masakan barat nih..psstt jangan lupa mee hakka tau:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy mac and cheese! I like the gruyere and smoked cheddar here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is comfort food at its best! Love it with the pancetta and good cheeses! Love your rendition of it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd say it's a success...looks over the top delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now we're talking! That looks wicked good, I love the individual ramekins, more crust that way. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look wonderful and I love that you served your mac "n" cheese in individual portions. I know this tastes as good as it looks and it looks really good. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love that you added peas and stuff! I bet that was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your mac "n" cheese sure looks delicious, love the mixing of the cheeses...nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My daughter's fav..Loved the addition of ham and peas..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love doing it individually - what a grand idea. It's called - portion control! Mac 'n cheese is so savory creamy from scratch. One bite of a fresh one and the packets will go bye-bye.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your individual servings of mac n cheese are so cute! Great to have the added peas and pancetta!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good idea to have them in individual ramekins, this way everyone is going to have the same amount of crispy cheesy toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now I can't decide if I should be making this or shepherd's pie!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you all your wonderful comments! I have enjoyed reading every single on of them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How yummy does that look! I adore mac n cheese and i will be trying out your version as it looks so fab!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just wanted you to know that I have made a link to this post on my YamDaisy blog! (Because I would love to serve these at the YamDaisy Cafe one day!)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks superb! A lovely take on macaroni and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh this brings back wonderful memories of when I travelled around America. I ate Mac and Cheese practically every other day for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Want To Increase Your ClickBank Banner Traffic And Commissions?

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your selected ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete
  37. สล็อต

    เพียงไม่กี่ขั้นตอน ก็สามารถเล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ได้ โดยยอดเครดิตใน User ของผู้เดิมพันเสมือนเหรียญที่หยอดในตู้สล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  38. สล็อต 777

    เพียงไม่กี่ขั้นตอน ก็สามารถเล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ได้ โดยยอดเครดิตใน User ของผู้เดิมพันเสมือนเหรียญที่หยอดในตู้สล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  39. สล็อต 1688

    เพียงไม่กี่ขั้นตอน ก็สามารถเล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ได้ โดยยอดเครดิตใน User ของผู้เดิมพันเสมือนเหรียญที่หยอดในตู้สล็อต

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin