Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prawns And Zucchini Risotto


I love making risotto because it has always been very popular with the tummies and there aren't too many pots and pans to clean up afterwards. Our local supermarket has been selling banana prawns for $18/kg; that is slightly cheaper than the market and saving me a ride to Victoria street is always welcome since the weather has been on the hot side for the past week. I picked up some of the prawns and decided to make a simple risotto with prawns and zucchini. I saved the prawn heads and shells to make a prawn stock; if you think it might be too fishy for you, just use chicken stock instead. Everyone had more than one serving and one of the tummies' plan to take some to work was dashed soon after.
P.S fennel, peas and corn also pair very well with prawns.

serves 4
you'll need;
500g of aborio rice
1/2 kg of prawns, shelled and halved lengthwise, shells and heads reserved
3 medium size zucchini, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
olive oil
1/2 cup of dry white wine
knob of butter 
parsley to garnish

for the stock;
2 l of water
2 stalks of celery
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 onion, quartered
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Place all stock ingredients in a pot and simmer for 40 minutes, check for seasonings.

lightly pan fry prawns and have everything ready.

Saute onion and garlic with olive oil til soft then add in the rice, continue to stir til each grain of rice is coated with oil. Pour in the wine and continue to stir til all the wine has evaporated.

Add enough stock to just cover the rice, simmer on low heat and stir from time to time. Repeat til rice is al dante.

When the rice is almost done, add in the zucchini and stir for a minute or so. Check rice for doneness and seasonings. Finally chuck in the cooked prawns and butter, turn off the heat and stir vigorously for a minute.

Garnish with a few cooked prawns and parsley. Serve immediately.

32 comments:

  1. It's my favourite risotto!!!
    I love zucchini and prawns they marry in a firework of taste!!!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum. looks great and nice ingredients. i just cooked prawns the other day too hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made risotto at home before, the photos are great! I really like the combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. never tried zucchini...love prawns and risotto looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matteo,
    Oh I'm so glad to hear that!
    They are indeed!

    Simon,
    Thank you! Will have a look soon after!

    love to eat,
    It is dead easy! haha! Thank you very much!

    Cicily,
    Zucchini is delicious! Thank you very much!

    Anncoo,
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous looking risotto! I should really try my hands on risotto very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's my favourit risotto.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything in a pot....yeah..love it. This looks so delicious. I'm eyeing the prawns there :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great...I wish I had some for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Risotto!!! Yum! Risotto is like heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oo the stock looks great! Love risotto and you are right, not much to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ce risotto doit être divin toute cette combinaison de saveurs me tente énormément
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is perfect! I have all the ingredients and would love to make it tonight! I just hope I don't loose power in the crazy snow storm we have here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfectly cooked risotto with such great combo! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wonder how do you always come up with something really wonderful :D This looks delish !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. rosa,
    Thank you! You must!

    Saveurs et Gourmandises ,
    Thank you! I'm glad about that!

    Mary,
    Haha just one pot :)

    Bo,
    Thank you very much!

    Paul,
    Thank you! Glad you like it!

    pigpigscorner ,
    Haha thanks!

    Fimère ,
    si heureux d'entendre cela. merci beaucoup

    5 Star Foodie,
    Thank you! I hope everything is fine and keep warm ;)

    Mary,
    THank you very much!

    Gulmohar,
    Haha thank you! Sometimes when cooking with a fix budget, wonders happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious!! I love risotto. Nice use of the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never failed to show us your delicious recipes....another delicious dish to drool at :@

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this risotto looks beautiful! I love the idea of adding prawns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. its a great post with step by step pics..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was expecting another Japanese dish but this is a wonderful surprise! Beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never had risotto. It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another fabulous recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your risotto looks oozy, which is a perfect look! I wish I could cook as well as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A fabulous dish again! Risotto is one thing that I have yet to try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 我沒試過risotto ,看起來很好味呀!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chef Fresco,
    Thank you very much!

    Pearlyn,
    Haha thank you! :)

    Sook,
    Thank you! The prawns add such sweetness to the dish!

    Preety,
    Thank you! glad you like the step by step format :)

    Shanshan,
    Haha I haven't been planning my dinner for a while now, so I won't be able to tell you what we are eating tmr lol

    Michael,
    Haha make sure you do! :)

    Velva,
    Thank you! :)

    Kenny,
    Thank you very much! You just have to try to find out how good your are!

    CW,
    Thank you! Please try to find out how easy it is!

    大肥,
    謝謝!一定要試呀!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ive never made risotto! must try! looks so so so YUMM

    ReplyDelete
  29. As you, I like risotto, but Mister Chapot no !
    So I do it one or two in a year, maybe, he likes this one !

    ReplyDelete
  30. chapot,
    Oh you must try to convert him haha!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin