Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Midweek Pasta - Spaghetti And Meatballs


It was meant to be a spaghetti bolognese night; somehow time was not really on my side so 'operation spagbol' had to be abborted since I like my meat sauce to simmer very slowly for up to 2 hours. Speghetti and meatballs seemed to be the obvious alternative, as I already had everything needed and it is also a favourite at the tummies'. For both dishes I like to use half beef/half pork - something I learnt from watching Antonio Carluccio's cooking program, either meat can be used alone of course. The preparations will only take around 20 minutes, after that it is about winding down with a beer while the meatballs are simmering away.
P.S If you are cooking for one, place individual servings in containers and freeze til needed.


serves 6 to 8
you'll need;
500g of minced pork
500g of minced beef
1/2 an onion, finely diced
rind from half a lemon
1 cup of breadcrumb
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1.5 bottles of pasata
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 hot chillies, chopped
2 bay leaves
a handful of baby spinach leaves
olive oil
flour for dusting
salt and pepper to taste
A packet of spaghetti, cooked til al dante

In a large bowl - mix minced meat with onion, parsley, lemon rind, bread crumbs, beaten egg. Work everything til well incooperated and season with salt and pepper.

Form little meatballs the size of walnut and dust with some flour.

Fry meatballs with a little oil in batches, set aside.

Fry garlic and chillies with a little olive oil then pour in the pasata, wine, stock and bay leaves. Add meatballs and simmer an hour. Check for seasonings.

Cook pasta til al dante and drain well. In another pan, add a ladle of sauce together with a few meatballs follow by pasta and some spinach leaves, mix well.

Serve immediately with some chopped parsley, shaved parmesan or pecorino cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.

Buon appetito!

36 comments:

  1. Lovely as always and one of my Italian restaurant stand-bys. Just one thing though, I prefer my meatballs bigger - a bit like the Shanghainese lion's head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love spaghetti with meat balls! has always been a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and delicious as always.
    See soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha our favourite too, love what you put in the meatball mix! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr.Noodles,
    Thank you! I'm waiting for someone that actually dislike meatballs :)
    Lion head size might be way too big because the one that I make is almost the size of an peach haha.

    Cicily,
    Thank you!

    Ann,
    Thank you! Another from the same camp :)

    Saveurs et Gourmandises,
    Thank you very much!

    Tricia,
    Thank you! It is great when you can taste everything ever so gently!

    Neetz,
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect midweek meal, I love meatballs but have never tried making them before. It looks easy enough and able to feed so many too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasata 是什麼呀!照片拍得很棒!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favourite! Have being scratching my head which one of your dish must I cook first *0*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had so many bad spaghetti and meatballs during uni days that I haven't had this for years. After looking at your photos I think you have given me some faith to try it again, at home of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite meals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got home and I can do with a big bowl of this now! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow,yummy pasta & meat balls,looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm.. that sounds super delicious and perfect for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. shanshan,
    It is dead easy! We got 8 serves out of it :)

    大肥 ,
    謝謝!pasata 是一種番茄醬,超市有賣!

    Ancoo,
    haha thank you :)

    CW,
    I have had my fair share of average meatballs :) Hope you will give this wonderful dish another chance.

    Michael,
    Haha you are another one!

    LMH,
    Thank you! make some now!

    my kitchen,
    Thank you very much!

    5 Star Foodie,
    Thank you! you should make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sleepless night and I'm here looking at your dinner lol
    Now I'm sleepless and hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I give you my mailing address is there any way of shipping some of this stuff over to me? LOL You always make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahh...my hubs has been bugging me about this! Looks so good! Happy CNY!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the kind of food I like.. and Barilla is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first time here, what a great blog you have! I'm an instant follower!
    Great looking spaghetti and meatballs btw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. qui peut résister à un plat pareil!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no body y compris moi
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos! Love what you put in the meatballs and what a great dish to feed a family :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I could eat spaghetti and meatballs everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh you have got a crowd pleaser here ;) The dish looks wonderful and the meatballs are just the right size for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww.... ชอบมากมาก!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmmm...spag bol is one of our staples althought I don't make meatballs often enough (too lazy) :) This looks perfect for a cool night.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey thr,
    new to ur wonderful space....loved ur meatballs recipe..will be bk.
    Cheers.
    www.indulgence9.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. KL girl in MELB ,
    Haha you poor thing! :)

    Gulmohar ,
    Thank you!

    Alex,
    Absolutely lol, Thank you :)

    pigpigscorner,
    Haha you better make some for him soon! Gong xi fa cai to you too!

    mycookinghut,
    I completely agree with you!

    Darren,
    Thank you very much!!!

    Lyndsey,
    Thank you :)

    Fimère ,
    tout le monde semble aimer ça:)
    merci!

    rosa,
    Thank you! This will feed a family of 6 at least :)

    Bo,
    Haha are you sure you can give up other food? :)

    love to eat,
    I think so too haha! Thank you!

    Fresh Local and Best,
    Haha mine too

    muu :) ,
    คุณ ต้องการ ทุก อย่าง! haha

    shaz,
    Haha you are hardly lazy with all your baking! :)

    Chetana,
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Buddy this is a wonderful surprise! Hope you can join our annual pasata making day soon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  29. fitzboy,
    Thank you! I would love that very much!

    Sophie,
    Hello Brussels!
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Décidèment !
    Happily my gluttons are not in my back looking at the screen, sinon, I have to go to the kitchen immediately to cook that somptuous meatballs !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin