Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Homemade Harissa


An indispensable ingredient for Moroccan cooking, this is a very handy ingredient to have in your kitchen at all times. It is not only great to give you the extra kick needed in your next stew but it is also a wonderful marinade for your next bbq. Remove some of the seeds if you prefer a milder version.

you'll need;
125g of dried chillies, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes to soften
125ml of olive oil
10 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbs cumin powder
1 tbs of coriander powder
1 tbs of dried mint (It was not used as I have non :()
1 tbs caraway powder

Soak dried chillies til soften and drain well.

Blend everything til smooth, it will keep well for up to 3 months in a jar with extra olive oil over.

10 comments:

  1. Really 3 months? I going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harissa is much easier to make than I thought. Thanks for demystifying this ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. never made it but always love it in cooking! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I tried a few different brands but yet to find one I like, will try making some today since I've got everything on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just spent 6 dollars on a small jar of harissa :( I'll be making this from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. shanshan,
    Indeed and without all the preservatives too!

    Anncoo,
    Yeah! Just make sure you add a layer of olive oil over it :)

    zurin,
    Thank you!

    Fresh Local and Best ,
    It is indeed! :)

    Claire,
    Make some soon!

    Yasmin,
    Great let me know about the result!

    Tricia,
    Haha for 6 dollars you'll be able to make 3 jars :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh ok this is easy...ill make it soon, Tq for your always lovely recipes :))

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin