Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tzatziki


To grate or to dice the cucumber? To add mint or dill? Everyone seems to think their recipe is the best and family members fight over the smallest details about a bowl of tzatziki. This is what I learnt from my former lover who is Greek. I am not sure if this is the best but it certainly is a damn good one. It goes perfectly with roast lamb and souvlaki that we all adore.

makes 1 cup
you'll need;
3/4 cup of Greek yoghurt
1 cucumber, grated and squeezed out excess liquid
3 tbs of finely chopped dill (or mint)
2 garlic cloves, minced
juice of half a lemon
dash of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Place grated cucumber, yoghurt, minced garlic and chopped dill in a bowl and mix well.

Follow by olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mix well and check for seasonings.

Great with succulent roast lamb.

Can't do without when it comes to souvlaki.

8 comments:

  1. This is something totally new to me. but the recipe sounds very interesting. I am drooling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm sesuatu yang baru bagi makcikmanggis;)tak dapat bayangkan bagaimana rasanya cucumber yang diparut?mesti sedap ni

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure grated cucumber - and for sure LOTS of garlic.
    I have made it with dill and mint and think that whatever I have fresh is best- Usually mint.
    You just reminded me that I have not made Tzatziki (that word always looks misspelled to me) in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tzatziki! Yours looks so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dill version too! Such a good sauce/dip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this cucumber dip with anything...looks prefect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll just need to try one with mint and one with dill - we lap this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased that you posted Greek food!
    Tzatziki is sooo good and goes with almost every meat dishes. It's refreshing and healthy, if you like garlic.
    What great tzatziki you prepared up there!
    Looks gorgeous!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin