Thursday, May 20, 2010

Neua Yang Nam Tok เนื้อย่างน้ำตก Waterfall Grilled Beef Salad


As it is with larb, this is a famous and well loved Issarn dish. You should be able to spot the similar characteristics simply by looking at the ingredients and how it is served. Only the freshest and very good quality beef should be used for this dish; I like to use either rump or beef fillets, the latter of course will cost a little more but it sure makes a huge difference to the final dish. The meat is traditionally served quite rare but do feel free to cook it to your liking of course. As for the origin or the name there are numerous theories for that from the little beads of water appearing on the surface of the meat when grilled, to blood sipping out from the meat when sliced (since it is served rare).  My theory is most people would be salivating at the sight and aroma of such a delicious dish! Limes are 4 for $1 at the moment so a great time for Thai salad and caipirinha.
P.S You may mince the meat finely for a larb neau. However do not cook the meat first, the meat will "cure" by the lime juice after 10 minutes or so.

serves 4 to 6 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
600 g of beef fillet or rump*
dash of soy
dash of fish sauce
dash of sweet soy
1 lemongrass, thinly sliced (white part only)
1/2 cup of coriander leaves
1/2 cup of mint leaves
4 shallots, sliced
2 bird chilies, sliced
1 large red chili, julienne
* marinate beef with soy, fish sauce and sweet soy for at least an hour

for the dressing;
5 tbs of sugar
5 tbs of fish sauce
juice of 1 lime *
3 tbs of roasted chili flakes
Dissolve sugar in fish sauce (30 seconds in the microwave oven does the trick), when the syrup has cooled down add in the lime juice and chili flakes. Check for seasonings, you might need to add more of any of the ingredients. The dressing should taste sweet, sour, hot and salty.

Prepare the herbs and aromatics.

Marinate the beef pieces.

Grill beef on a hot griddle for 30 seconds on each side. Remove and rest before slicing.

Preparing the dressing.

Slice the beef thinly and place in in a large bowl.

Add the rest of the ingredients and dressing. Mix well.

Serve accompanied by wedges of cos lettuce, cucumber and long beans as part of a Thai meal. This is also a great beer snack!

36 comments:

  1. I'm loving all these salads...They are all so hearty...I see lots of recipes calling for sweet soy, but I don't every see any soy called that...does it have another name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the best cook around!
    But you always leave me hungry!..
    Your steak looks delicious!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wor, this dish just made me salivated, look really tempting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your new Thai salad series...everything looks so colourful and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harriet from CarltonMay 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM

    Another masterpiece! I was just telling my friends how I can survive on Thai salads alone. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this is my very favourite. We ordered this the other day at our local Thai, the meat was so tough we had to send it back :( I don't think they use beef fillet though lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work buddy! It looks amazing, I can see the beef must melt in the mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. salam tummy..thanks for sharing another kerabu siam with us..memang enak n menyelerakan dibulan puasa nanti..i'm looking for more kerabu siam from you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm...this Thai salad really makes me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...this Thai salad really makes me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bo,
    Thank you very much! They are very healthy indeed. They are often lable as "kecap manis"

    KennyT,
    Thank you very much!

    Betty ,
    Oh thank you very much! xxx

    Sonia,
    Thank you! You must try it soon!

    rosa ,
    Thank you! :)

    Harriet,
    Haha hardly a masterpiece :) I think I would survive with just Thai salad too.

    KL girl in MELB,
    Thank you! We had the same experience the other day too :(

    fitzboy,
    Thank you buddy! it was and I don't think I will use rump again lol

    mohdandmeriam ,
    Terima kasih atas pujian makcik..banyak lagi ni haha

    Anncoo,
    Thank you very much..Make some soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really like fine slices of beef mixed with fish sauce. That's so flavorful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has been on my to do list also hehe ... your version looks really spicy. you 3 tummies are really good cooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. บุตร hi! ฉันอย่างรักจานนี้...betul tak ayat ni hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is an amazing beef salad!! the dressing sounds delish too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always inspired when I come here. I love how flavorful this salad is - the ingredients so goodly, the salad so fresh. And "cooking" the beef in limes. Whhich are decidedly not 4 for $1.00 here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please don't stop your Thai salad series please. I am planning a Thai dinner over the weekend and I am going to choose one of the salad and a curry. What else would you suggest? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg! It looks very delicious. I love all your recipes. Lovely pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great recipe from your kitchen! Really love the colour and flavour combination. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the lacquer spoon ,
    Thank you very much! :)

    noobcook ,
    Thank you very much, I hope you will try it soon. A bit of heat is good :)

    makcikmanggis ,
    Hebatnya makcik! Thai makcik bagus ni! Masih banyak masakan seperkini..akan datang hehe

    petite nyonya ,
    Thank you very much!

    Claudia s,
    Thank you very much! I am so happy to hear that! :)
    It was $1 each not that long ago!

    Anh ,
    Thank you very much!

    CW ,
    There will be more Thai dishes on the way.
    If you are choosing one of the meat curries, try a seafood or chicken salad, a stir fried greens perhaps.

    Arthi ,
    Thank you very much! :)

    Angie's Recipes,
    Thank you very much! I hope you will try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favourite salad and a constant stand-by when I can't be bothered to make much food. I don't usually use lemongrass, now I know what's missing :) Thanks for the recipe, and mouthwatering as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling I have been missing you beef salad. I guess I will try to make some when we do our Thai dinner next. Will 200g of beef enough for the 2 of us?

    Sophia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. อร่อยมากผมชอบอาหารไทยทั้งหมดของคุณ

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your food always comes to us with such glorious color. This really looks fabulous. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Avec tes recettes, nous avons toutes les saveurs du monde dans la bouche.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh My ! You have a feast almost everyday...:-)Fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks superb n perfect...YOu r rocking...Am fascinated by your awesome clicks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not one for drooling over a beef but that salad looks amazing especially that dressing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow.. the salad looks so good! I am not usually a salad fan but seriously this one, I will eat gratefully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. You spoil us with your delicious recipes..I want to be the 4th Hungry Tummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks like a very aromatic and delicious salad.

    ReplyDelete
  32. shaz,
    Haha it is a great dish with very little cooking :) Will email you a list of eating places to go to! :)

    Sophia darling,
    Ohhh :)
    200 g is more than enough for two. xxx

    muu ,
    ขอบคุณมาก

    Mary ,
    Thank you very much..I think that is one of the reason why I love Thai food so much!

    Nadji,
    Merci beaucoup!

    Gulmoha,
    Haha just very simple home cook food! Thank you!

    Jay,
    Thank you very much! :)

    Ingrid ,
    Thank you very much! :)

    pigpigscorner,
    Haha yes ! Thank you!

    Sook,
    Thank you! They are called salad but you really have it with rice.

    figtree ,
    Thank you very much! Anytime :)

    Fresh Local and Best,
    Thank you very much, it is very flavoursome :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love how easy and colourful this salad is!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin