Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gung Neung Rat Phrik Manao กุ้งนึ่งราดพริกมะนาว, Steamed Prawns with Chili and Lemon



Most people might not associate steamed dishes with Thai food but there are gems cooked this way hidden behind the more well known curries and salads. Like stir-frying technique, steaming is a Chinese method adopted by the Thais but soon put on their own very unique stamps to it. This is another favourite of my late grandfather, he would catch fresh water prawns or fish in the river by the house and my grandmother would prepare this dish with the freshest ingredients straight from the garden. White fish (whole or fillets), crabs, scallops or fresh water crayfish can be prepared the same way. The best part of this dish is the flavoursome broth like sauce that will make one go for a second serving of rice every time! This is a very economic way of preparing something quite impressive for your guests. If you would like to try the raw version, click HERE for kung chae nam pla  (Thai marinated raw prawns)
P.S Finally the internet speed is back to normal, meaning I am now able to do a little bit of blog surfing.

serves 4 as part of a Thai meal
you'll need;
500 g of banana prawns or other medium size prawns
6 to 8 bird chilies (both green and red), chopped*
5 coriander roots, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup of coriander leaves, picked
3 spring onions, cut into 2" length, julienne, soaked in iced water
1 red chili, julienne
1/2 lemon or lime, thinly sliced
1 cup of chicken stock*
3 tbs of lemon juice or lime juice
3 tbs of fish sauce
* adjust the number of chili according to your taste
** mix stock with lemon juice and fish sauce and set aside

Shell prawns but leave the heads and tails intact. use a sharp knife to break up the springy connecting nerves on the undersides, this will prevent the prawns from curling up during cooking.

Butterfly the prawns and remove the sandy vein, flatten it lighly with the blade of your knife.

Prepare the chop ingredients.

Arrange prawns neatly in a shallow plate that would fit in your wok or steamer (place a metal rack in your wok). Place lemon slices, chopped aromatics, half of the spring onion and coriander leaves over the prawns, pour the lemony stock over. Cover and steam on high heat for 7 to 8 minutes.

Remove from the steamer when time is up and top with the rest of the spring onions, coriander leaves and julienne chilies.

Serve immediately as part of a Thai meal, you'll need plenty of rice to go with the delicious tangy sauce.

36 comments:

  1. oh ...sedapnya tummy dan sangat nostalgia my mom pun pernah masak begini..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so Chinese to me. ;-)) You're sure this is Thai food? Very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam tummy..wow i learn another favourite dish using prawns..my granddaughter who loves prawns will surely loves this way of cooking.it is not only delicious but healthy too.hope you will share many more of your thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh.. I like.. looks expensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. prawns are my all time fav...your version looks very appetizing. you r rocking dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, very Chinese! I think a little wine won't do any harm, right! Enjoy & have a great day, guys!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh YUm! What a beautiful plate of prawns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious! I have ordered similar dish with whole barramundi. What a beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really going to try this. I can imagine how delicious this must be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a great looking dish! I think the boys will be happy to help with the prawns if they want me to prepare this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, delicious. I love prawns, sounds pretty healthy too..except I like to eat the prawn heads ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite!! I want to add extra garlic.:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the beautiful recipe to view and eat! Thai food tells me how awesome the combo of sweet and sour is. Aroy maak na ka :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a delicious dish!
    I need to try it out! Love shrimps
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very yummy dish indeed! Will certainly try to cut the prawns to let them stay straight after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum- I have never steamed prawns before- (or left the heads on)- But you are right the presentation is lovely- Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very colorful and inviting! So i am thinking besides your grandpa, they were plenty other who were nuts about this steamed wonder!Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!! How delicious!!! Looks sooo good! Too bad we just found out my son is alergic to shell fish! Sigh!! All I can do is droooooool...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey buddy a very impressive dish indeed. I keep imagining how your grandfather would return with the catch while your grandma prepare the dish, very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have only tried steamed prawns Chinese style. This is very interesting with the all the aromatics, fish sauce and lime juice in it. I am too lazy to prepare the prawns but love to try this with fish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. makcikmanggis,
    Oh mak makcik dari Thailand selatan kan? Cubalah resipi ni, pasti popula :)

    Angie,
    Haha it does look Chinese but the seasonings are completely Thai ;)

    mohdandmeriam,
    Salam makcik, Thank you! I will be posting more Thai food :)

    msihua,
    Prawns was $!6/kg so not bad for a dish costs around $10 :)

    Jay,
    Thank you very much! I hope you will try it!

    Kristy,
    The seasoning is completely Thai so wine won't work in this dish :)

    penny,
    Thank you very much! ;)

    CW ,
    Thank you! Barramundi works very well!

    darren,
    Thank you very much! Please do!

    love to eat ,
    Thank you! That is a very good idea! :)

    shaz ,
    Thank you! Haha me too, I love the prawn heads :)

    Anncoo,
    Haha I actually put more than 5 cloves of garlic :)

    the lacquer spoon ,
    Thank you very much! You sums it up so well about Thai food :)
    Khop khum ma krap!

    Betty,
    Thank you very much! Please do :)

    Cheah ,
    Thank you! That is a little trick I learnt from my grandma :)

    Lady Ren,
    Please give it a try! The heads give out all the sweet juices to form part of the sauce.

    Jhonny walker,
    Thank you very much!

    Cool Lassi(e) ,
    Thank you very much! Haha you bet!

    Tigger mum,
    Thank you! That must be so awful! :(

    fitzboy,
    Thank buddy! It was a very sweet scene indeed!

    shanshan,
    Do try it! You are going to be a new convert I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh...this is so suffering to see so many prawns! Looks really delicious. I don't think I want to share if I have this plate :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a delicious meal and I love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. อร่อยมากฉันต้องการบางตอนนี้

    ReplyDelete
  25. My darling! This is my favourite, finally you are making it! I hope you are feeling better, we miss you here!

    Sophia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow these babies look so tasty have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds delicious and it certainly is something I would like to try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  28. My grandma steams prawns like this too! without the fish sauce...beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks really great. I love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My, my, my this looks tasty. Did you say you were going to make me some for supper tonight. Ok, that sounds good, I will be there in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a stunner! Really - did you eat or just admire? I also am craving that flavor-filled broth. Oh most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  33. AWesome presentation. I am a big fan of shrimps. I am already craving for it now. Awesome !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. MaryMoh ,
    Haha thank you! you can have it all!

    Taste of Beirut,
    Thank you very much!

    muu :) ,
    คุณขอบคุณ

    Sophia darling,
    Thank you and yes I am xxx

    Rebecca,
    Thank you very much!

    Mary,
    Thank you!

    pigpigscorner ,
    Thank you! That must taste wonderful too!

    Bo ,
    Thank you very much!

    Cocina Savant,
    Thank you! Anytime!

    Claudia ,
    Thank you! I did both lol

    Nithu,
    Haha thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic dish! I love prawns and definitely like it cooked this way.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin