Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Candied Winter Melon And Barley Drink 冬瓜糖薏米水


A very popular drink served at most Malaysian coffee shops; while adults are having their coffee or tea sweetened by condensed milk, kids are happily sipping this while waiting for their wanton soup  or lo mai kai  to arrive. I decided to place this in the same catagory of leong cha as it has the same "miracle power" of removing excessive heat from our body. This is another drink being made regularly back home when the weather turns hot and humid or too much fried food is consumed.

you'll need;
100g of rock sugar
200g of barley, washed
150g of candied winter melon
2 l of water

Simmer for 40 minutes, serve it warm or chilled.

5 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, whenever I passed by a Chinese herbal shop, I'd grab some candied winter melon and eat it as a snack, will def try this one when I feel heaty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I finished half a packet even before I decided to make the drinks :) Just trying to imagine you eating that on the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is this similar to the taiwainese winter melon drink?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I boil this few times a week for my family. They love 冬瓜糖 alot and they sometimes help themselves with several pieces at one go....just like candies.For your info , switch off the heat once barley are JUST cooked and let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving..... my mum taught me this and I have been following her instruction all these times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey and this blog, I'm not sure if it is the same as the Taiwanese drink. I'll find out from my Taiwanese friends and will add a little note on the post.

    Oh A Full-Timed Housefly we all love 冬瓜糖!! haha!! Thanks for the wonderful tips!! I'll follow that in the future :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin