Monday, November 30, 2009

Peek Kai Yad Sai ปีกไก่สอดไส้ Thai Stuffed Chicken Wings


I haven't met anyone who doesn't like this dish just yet; it is deep fried boneless (did I hear boneless?) chicken wings with lots of goodies stuffed into those little bodies! This is my first attempt and I must say it is a lot easier than I thought, although I do really appreciate all the ladies who used to make this for me when I was a little adorable child. You'll need a very sharp paring knife for this and after you have done the first one, you will be on a roll! They charged $6 each in a restaurant for a rather lack lustre one but I only spent $7 for all 7 fat stuffed wings - you do the calculation. I made a lemon chili sauce to go with the stuffed wings, if you have children at home they will be very quiet for a little while until they fight for the very last piece :)
P.S I started using sweet potato flour for coating whenever I'm doing deep frying food (after making Taiwanese fried chicken). Give it a try and see how much crunchier everything turns out!

you'll need;
8 chicken wings, drumlets removed (save it for boxing chicken) and bones removed from winglets
sweet potato flour for coating
oil for deep frying

for the stuffing you'll also need;
100g of pork mince
50g of prawn mince
half a carrot, shredded finely
25g of mung bean noodles, soaked and drained
2 spring onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, 3 coriander roots and 1/2 tbs of white pepper, pounded
dash of fish sauce
1/2 tbs of sugar
2 tbs of corn flour
mix everything well and work til you get a firm paste.

Start off with breaking all the connecting joints by twisting the wings.

Separate the winglets from the drumlets.

With a small sharp knife, loosen the meat and connecting tissues from the bones and carefully remove the bones.

Stuff the wings with filling.

Steam for 10 minutes on low heat, some filling might burst out during the steaming process.

Remove wings from the steamer when they are cool enough to handle, gently reshape whichever wings that need repair. Chuck it into the fridge to firm up. Just before frying dust it with sweet potato flour.

Fry in hot fat til golden.

Drain well and serve with lemon chili sauce.

33 comments:

  1. Finally you are posting this!!! I will need to make a lot more to keep the boys quiet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they look so good!!! Bet they taste really good too!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I always order this , it looks easy enough for me to make at home, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this! This is such a neat idea! Who would have ever thought of stuffing chicken wings?

    I would definitely eat this if I wasn't a vegetarian. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes love to eat I have to keep my promises!!

    Thanks Anonymous, they are very tasty indeed!

    You are welcome Anu! please give it a try!

    Thanks Art and Appetite! Appreciate you comment despite being a non eater :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These wings are one of my favourite Thai dish....I love deep fried stuffs..... cannot resist these gorgeous fried wings..... drooling

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is my favourite dish!!! And yeh, i made once,filled with cheese and ham, for my ex. i will try to make this for my mr. right in the future! Thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and really good to dip with Thai chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha thank you Pearlyn!!! make some soon!

    oh 阿ta with cheese and ham sounds good! Make sure he is Mr, right ok!

    Thanks Anncoo! yes sweet chili sauce will go perfectly with this too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom and I used to make this dish together - they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the way Kenny! :)

    Fresh Local and Best, that must be so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are my favourite. I can eat the whole plate while watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been waiting for you to make this! This is my favorite dish. I've always wondered how to get the bones out and also how to get the stuffing throughly cooked. Now I know!!! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum! is it wrong to want this for breakfast??
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can do that too Mary :) good with beer as well!

    Please do try Tricia and let me know how it goes.

    Darling! no it is a perfect breakfast dish on top of your nasi lemak :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yeah so when is the restaurant opening for our hungry tummies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's like as if you need to work hard in the beginning,so u don't need to slave at de-boning the wing at the end.. it's all good;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I an not a big fan of chicken wings but boneless stuffed wings that sounded very agreeable to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Harriet from CarltonDecember 1, 2009 at 1:54 PM

    I'm very tempted to get some chicken wings right away, thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Rebecca I not sure about a tummies restaurant haha!

    CUMI & CIKI I have never thought of that theory before, it makes sense though!!

    Yeah Chen it is the best of the chicken wings dish I think :)

    Please do Harriet!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa ... that's really creative, and therez no doubt in my mind that it tastes phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love wings and these look so yummy! making me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this look great. I am so looking forward to try this out but I am not sure if I can remove the wing bones as good as your as I never do that before. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! they look seriously delicious!!! How do you make the dipping sauce

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha wings on steroid!! I like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. 哇!才一塊錢一個!你好棒!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These stuffed chicken wings must have tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Muneeba ! Just a dish that I grew up with :) It does taste wonderful though !

    and this blog, thanks! I'm hungry for some too haha

    Thanks ICook4Fun! it is very easy as ling as you break of all the joints first :)

    Thanks Anonymous! I'll add that to the post tmr.

    U r completely right fitzboy!! straight out of the Gold Gym!!

    謝謝大肥!真的很值得!!

    Thanks Angie! it is definitely worth making them!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always seen these on menus and wondered how the hell they are made, but I've never eaten one before. What an impressive job you've done! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowww.. boneless chicken wings!! I got two of my hands up!!! This is such a good dish, full of all good ingredients! I don't know if I can debone the wings or not.. let me try.. this is a MUST TRY for me !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh thanks mycookinghut! of course you can make it haha! let me know the result!

    ReplyDelete


  32. RR
    นอกจากนี้ยังมีตำนานเล่าขานกันทั่วหมู่บ้านว่าเมื่อถึงเวลาที่เหมาะสม นกฟีนิกซ์จะแตกออกจากเปลือกหยกสว่างเป็นไฟ
    แล้วบินออกไปเต้นรำบนท้องฟ้า ในขณะที่เกล็ดของนกฟีนิกซ์ค่อย ๆ ตกลงมาจากด้านบนผู้พิทักษ์จะคว้าโอกาสชั่วชีวิตเพื่อรวบรวมเกล็ด
    โดยตาชั่งจะแปรสภาพเกล็ดเป็นหยกเพื่อมอบเป็นรางวัลให้แก่ “ผู้พิทักษ์ฟีนิกซ์”
    สล็อตPG
    สล็อตPG

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin