Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sweet And Sour Pork Spareribs 糖醋排骨



I was craving for Chinese food but good Chinese eatery is a rarity in our area and going all the way to Chinatown on a Friday night was simply out of the question. Fortunately I did have some pork spareribs in the fridge and a pantry that rivals any Asian grocer out there. If you have been following my blog for a while you should be quite familiar with this dish as I have previously posted versions using chicken spareribs and fish fillets. A makeover was given to a much loved Cantonese classic, please remember to come back for that tomorrow.



serves 4 to 6 as part of a Chinese meal
you'll need;
1 kg of pork spareribs
1 tbs of grated ginger
dash of soy
dash of sesame oil
dash of Chinese cooking wine
corn flour for dusting
toasted sesame seeds
spring onions slices as garnish

for the sauce;
4 garlic cloves, sliced
3 cm knob of ginger, sliced
2 spring onions, bashed
5 tbs of Chinkiang black vinegar
3 tbs of light soy
6 tbs of sugar
dash of sesame oil
1.5 tbs of corn flour
3/4 cup of stock



To prepare the sauce - mix all ingredients except the garlic, ginger and spring onions in a bowl and mix well.



Prepare the aromatics for the sauce.



Cut the spareribs into manageable pieces (between each rib).



Marinate spareribs with ginger, soy, sesame oil and wine for at least 30 minutes and dust with corn flour.



Fry spareribs in batches until pale golden, remove and drain well. Fry spareribs a second time until golden and crispy, remove and drain well.



Saute ginger, garlic and spring onions with a little oil then pour in the sauce mixture. Stirring constantly until sauce thicken.



Turn of the heat and return the spareribs to the pot and coat well.



Drizzle with some toasted sesame seeds and garnish with spring onions. Wine was also served since it was a Friday night.

11 comments:

  1. Que pinta tiene el pollo, me encanta.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true classic - I had a posh version of this in Guangzhou with ribs served in a rice noodle nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, this looks as good as those 排骨王! Slurp.... My mouth is watering!
    Regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely going to try this one. quick question: what are chicken spareribs? it just seems like there wouldn't be much meat on them, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks really really good! can you make this without deepfrying the ribs first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. this spareribs really look good!! it's look like Peking style ribs!! I wanna to try your recipe soon!! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harriet from carltonJune 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

    Wow this looks like a restaurant quality dish! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to make this for dinner but doubt I will be able to get any spareribs, maybe I'll try the fish version. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm...yummy! Finger-licking good, my favouite! I will make this very soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Yum....! I miss a good sweet and sour pork ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks really delicious, the gravy must be very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin