Friday, June 17, 2011

Eggs En Cocotte With Tomato Sauce And Chorizo



This is a post for my new friend D who requested for some breakfast dishes a while back. I must say I have never been a breakfast person as some toasts and a cup of tea is all I want after my well deserved sleep in over the weekend. However I did have this stashed away somewhere after trying out some of the recipes from one of my many untested cookbooks. There is a small chapter on eggs en cocotte (in casserole) in 1080 Recipes by Simone and Mes Ortega and I have simply replaced the bacon with chorizo sausage from one of the recipes. Perhaps this is a dish worth getting up a little earlier for.... if not it will make a terrific lunch or brunch if that's what you prefer to call it!
P.S I would also like to congratulate my friends D and B for completing their post law school course, well done boys!



recipe adapted from 1080 Recipes by Simone and Mes Ortega
oven preheated at 220 C (conventional)
serves 3
you'll need;
3 tbs of olive oil
2 chorizo sausages, sliced
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
400 g of canned tomato, chopped
1 tsp of sugar
6 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
crusty bread to serve



A bit of cutting and chopping.



Brown chorizo in batches, rendering some of the fat. Remove and set aside.



In the same pan, saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes then add in the chopped tomatoes and continue to cook for a minute. Season with sugar and salt.



Return chorizo to the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Check for seasonings.



Spoon sauce into 3 coccottes or ramekins and break 2 eggs into each ramekin. Lightly season with salt, place the ramekins in a baking tray with a rack and half filled with boiling water. Bake in the preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes.




After 4 to 5 minutes, the egg whites should be just set and yolks remain runny.



Serve immediately with toast or bread of your choice.

5 comments:

  1. Love it ! (Tummies, am Jane here. Cant leave comment in ur blog so no choice have to use anonymous ac)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to make this for breakfast tmr! Btw both the dishes turned out really well thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wouldn't mind taking a bowl! yum! those runny egg yolks are just my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what we call "Sunday breakfast" around here. I love eggs cooked "al forno" in a variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin