Friday, July 1, 2011

Sticky Spiced Chicken Wings





My plan was to make some lovely honey and soy wings as entree before serving our main course of chorizo, cabbage and tomato soup. I soon changed my mind when I saw the soon to expire jar of mango chutney that really should be used up right away. A quite marinade was made using the mango chutney and a few other ingredients I found in the kitchen. What came out from the oven did not disappoint;  they were sweet, sticky, fragrant, spicy, succulent and juicy.... just as one would expect!
This is a perfect snack to be washed down with a cold beer or two, just remember to also offer finger bowls and napkins to your guests as it can be a messy business dealing with these sticky gems.


recipe from the tummies' kitchen
oven preheated at 220 C (conventional)
serve 4 to 6 as an entree
you'll need;
10 chicken wings
3 tbs of mango chutney
2 tbs of honey
1/2 tbs of cumin powder
1/2 tbs of coriander powder
1 - 11/2 tbs of hot paprika powder
4 garlic cloves, grated
3 cm knob of ginger, grated
grated rind from half a lemon
juice from half a lemon
4 to 5 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste



First lets prepare the marinade - mix all ingredients (except for the wings of course) in a large bowl and stir well. Taste the marinade and season accordingly, it should be sweet, sour, spicy and savoury.



Cut each wing into 2 keeping the wingtip intact (best bits to chew on). Be sure to get rid of all stray feathers.



Marinate the chicken wings for at least 3 hours or overnight for even better result.



Place marinated chicken pieces (reserving the marinade) onto a baking tray and cook in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Baste chicken with the reserved marinade from time to time. 



When they are golden and ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.



You might want to consider this recipe the next time you are craving for some finger licking good wings.

4 comments:

  1. What an amzing glaze on these chicken wings. Perfect for a July 4th dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, now that's what I call finger licking good! I was planing on making pomegranate-chipotle chicken wings for this weekend. I wasn't sure if I should use the glaze before baking because of it burning. Yours look perfect with that cooked on glaze. I can't wait! I'll add a few of your add-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep...definitely finger-licking good!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loos damn good to me ..... Wanna try, wanna try ...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin