Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicken And Vegetables Pot Pie From The Tummies' Kitchen



It is hard to imagine not putting a big smile on anyone's face by saying the words homemade chicken pies, well.... that is unless you are someone who;
a) have a hatred for chicken
b) despise the word pie
c) never get too excited about anything let alone a pie
d) all the above
I am sorry if you happened to tick one or all of the answers above because we are having chicken pies today. Yes! a very homey and comforting homemade chicken and vegetables pot pie that is!

This is just a rough guide on how to make your own chicken pie at home, so feel free to play around with the ingredients to suit your taste. Mushrooms, leek and jerusalem artichoke are in season now, why not try to incorporate any of them into your pie?



makes 2 individual pies
oven preheated at 240 C (conventional)
you'll need;
6 pieces (~600 g) of chicken thigh fillets, cut into small chunks
a knob of butter (~25 - 30 g)
a dash of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
a few sprigs of thyme
a handful of picked tarragon
1 tbs of flour
4 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup of white wine
3/4 cup of chicken stock
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
a simple dressed greens to serve
tomato chutney to serve



Brown chicken pieces in batches to a light golden colour, remove and set aside.



Heat the butter in the same pan and saute chopped onion and garlic until soften. Add flour and cook for a minute before adding the diced vegetables, stir and mix well.



Add wine and cook for a minute before adding the stock and sour cream and the herbs, cook for a few minutes more and check for seasonings. Turn off the heat, add the peas and mix well, allow the mixture to cool.



When the puff pastry is soft enough to work on, cut out the lids using the ramekin as a guide. 


Fill ramekins with the creamy chicken and vegetables mixture. 



Rub the edge of the ramekins with some of the egg wash and put the lids over. Use a folk to press down the edges and make a few holes for the steam to escape. Finally brush with the egg wash and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before baking. Bake pies in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden.



Serve hot pie on its own or with a simple salad, here at the tummies' we always have a jar of tomato chutney on the side.

11 comments:

  1. sungguh kreatif guna bekas ramekin je:)makcik suka pie..apa apa paie pun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriet From CarltonJuly 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

    I love pies and would love one of this for my dinner!
    P.S We are making your curry puff tomorrow and will keep you update with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could anyone not like pie! These look cooked to perfection to me - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love homemade pies and I am so going to make this tmr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow could that be more delicious? Good thing I love chicken! It's my most favorite food in the world. Does it make me a lesser person if I haven't tasted any chicken pie in my life? Oh God I should make one this weekend!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh they look so good can I have one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kind of comfort food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...so yummy looking n healthy with all veggies... I like tis! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this just now! I love chicken pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures to compliment the recipe. I love love love pot pie! I also love your blog title and writing style. Way to go! Please visit my blog, Picky Eater Solutions, and post any comments or suggestions you have that have been helpful to you and your blog. Thank you. www.pickyeatersolutions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I will make a pie for dinner this week too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin