Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pork Chop With Tomato Sauce On Egg Fried Rice 茄汁豬扒配炒飯



It was a cold, wet and miserable Friday night and tummy decided it would be a good idea for him to stay in as well. My initial plan of a very simple dinner for one went right out of the window and now I would have to cook a meal for two with whatever I could find in the fridge, charming! At the end I did manage to find two pieces of pork chops, some cold rice and vegetables both fresh and frozen after a quick raid of the kitchen.

I decided to make something that I would normally order at a Hong Kong Style cafe - "baked pork chop rice" but without the baking because I simply couldn't be bothered and I would have missed the start of my favourite British crime drama with that extra process involved.

P.S If you are a fan of the baked version - fill a baking dish with the fried rice, top with the pork chops and pour the sauce over and bake in a hot oven until it is golden. But you will have to thicken the sauce with flour rather than corn flour to get that nice golden crust. I won't insult you with a recipe for the fried rice, I personally think just plain steamed rice would do the trick.



serves 2 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
2 pork chops or chicken or whatever meat you have
1 tsp of light soy
1/2 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of Chinese cooking wine
dash of white pepper
corn flour for coating
oil for cooking

for the tomato sauce;
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, cut into wedges
6 tbs of tomato ketchup
1 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of HP sauce
2 tbs of sugar
1/2 cup of stock
dash of white pepper
1/4 cup of green peas



Use a kitchen mallet to flatten out the pork chops.



Marinate the pork chops with a little light soy, sesame oil, white pepper and Chinese cooking wine and coat the chops with corn flour.



To make the tomato sauce - saute chopped garlic with a little oil for a 20 seconds then add in the onion and cook until slightly soften. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally add in the green peas and thicken the sauce with a little corn flour solution. Heat the sauce up just before serving.



I made a simple fried rice with vegetables and eggs.



Pan fry the pork chops until golden then place the cut pork chop on top of the fried rice.



Pour some of the tomato sauce over and enjoy. 

6 comments:

  1. Wah, I would love to have a plate, so yummy...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely meal that came out of what you could find in the fridge! I love those kinds of meals. The fried rice alone is probably what I'd come up with. The sauce looks so nice a golden and good! Hope you can stay warm :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so tempting. Nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...I'm just recovering from the nasty cold I got, and this looks so tasty. Perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is our dinner tonight and just a last minute check before I start cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin