Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Nasi Minyak, Rice Cooked In Butter - "Malaysian Monday 39"

I made this fabulous side dish using my dear friend Makcik Manggis' (Jom Masak... Jom Makan-Makan ) recipeterima kasih makcik! I have had this numerous times at Malay weddings but making it at home was a first for me thanks to the very easy to follow recipe. I served it with the curry kambing (Malaysian goat curry) I posted a week ago and I think they are a match made in heaven. If you want something festive to go with your next Malaysian meal please remember to try this out!
P.S I have been away from the computer for a few days and just realized this post was removed so I am reposting this.



recipe from Jom Masak... Jom Makan-Makan
serves 4 to 6 as part of a Malaysian meal
you'll need;
2 cups of basmati rice, rinsed and drained
3 shallots, peeled
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 cm knob of ginger

a little cooking oil 
a small knob of butter
a little yellow colouring (optional)
2 star anise
6 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 pandan leaf
1/3 cup of milk
2 1/2 cups of water
salt to taste
a little yellow colouring (optional)
a handful of roasted cashew nuts
a handful of sultanas



Pound shallots, garlic and ginger into a rough paste.



Saute star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick with a little cooking oil and butter for 30 seconds before adding the wet spices. Continue to cook for a minute....



Add in the well drained rice and stir well, making sure each grain of rice is coated with the fragrant mixture.



Transfer rice to a rice cooker then add pandan leave, milk, water and a little salt to taste. 



When rice is cooked you may gently stir in a little yellow colouring if using. 



Top with some roasted cashew nuts and sultanas and serve as a replacement for steamed rice.



My friend Sharon from Test With A Skewer is hosting the May event, please send all your entries to its.sharon.gmail.com. To find out more about the event please click here.

11 comments:

  1. This rice dish sounds so rich and fragrant! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alamak bagusnya Tummy... jika kita berjiran,,jika tak sihat bolehlah makcik hulurkan pinggan,minta nasi minyak dan kari kambing seketul:)...pakcik sangat sukakan daging kambing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yah. It looks really fragrant!! I must try this. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost smell it here...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Nasi Minkyak. The recipe looks very similar to one I use too. Goes so well with almost any curry, but goat curry sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks a bit complicated to make.....but luks yummy too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something that I couldn't miss!
    Kristy
    p/s noted, will send the entry to Shaz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rice looks so homey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this all sounds great, except for the yellow food coloring... i believe a pinch of saffron would be a much better substitute to give that yellow tinge, and to add to the delicious flavor. i don't really understand why anyone would want their rice to look yellow using food coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The spices and butter must make this rice uber delicious. I can imagine the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had this for a long time, used to taste this at kenduris!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My Photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin