Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ayam Goreng Asam, Tamarind Fried Chicken - "Malaysian Monday 33"



It has been a really crazy week and I was struggling to come up with something exciting for this week's MM post. That was until I found this very simple fried recipe in my little "black book". This is another childhood favourite; I remember quite vividly how we used to fight over the last piece of chicken whenever this was served, try it and you will understand why. If you not a fan of deep frying for whatever reason; simply pan fry chicken pieces for a few minutes on each side and bake in a hot oven until golden. 
P.S Can anyone please tell me how does pre-paid internet works? 



serves 4 as part of a Malaysian meal
you'll need;
1.5 kg of chicken thighs
6 tbs of instant tamarind paste
3 tsp of sugar
2 tsp of salt
2 tbs of light soy
dash of white pepper
peanut oil for frying
sambal kecap to serve



Prepare the marinade in a bowl and set aside.



Trim of excess skin and fat and prick chicken pieces all over using a sharp object.



Marinate chicken with the prepared marinade for at least an hour.



Fry chicken in hot oil until golden and crispy. 



Drain well and serve immediately as part of a Malaysian meal. 


I also made a large pot of sayur lodeh  (Malaysian vegetable curry) and served the fried chicken with some delicious sambal kecap.



My friend Sharon from Test With A Skewer will be hosting the March event. Please send all your entries to its.sharon.gmail.com, to find out more about the event please click HERE

12 comments:

  1. Makcik pun makan ayam jugak hari ini.hari yang sangat teruk:(..masih belum selesai tentang internet?anak perempuan sulong makcik guna pre paid tapi makcik tak tahu bagaimana caranya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my unofficial MM post - I missed the Monday deadline.. :) But loving your assam... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so mouth watering! Bet it goes well with Nasi Lemak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and delicious! Love the tangy flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks tangy, a mouth-watering recipe..

    valar
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great chicken! I can see why you used to fight over the last piece! It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy this is completely new to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh lala! An idea for this weekend dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mama Mia, this is indeed sooooo mouthwatering. Think I'd prefer to panfry then bake them!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin