Monday, September 10, 2012

Preserved Radish Omelet, Choko And Mung Bean Noodles Broth 佛手瓜粉絲菜脯蛋湯 - "Malaysian Monday 88"

Well you better be a fan of choko because here's another very simple but delicious childhood dish of mine using the very underrated vegetable.

A bowl of broth or soup graced the dining table at every meal when I was growing up. It can be an elaborate double boiled number with expensive ingredients or just a very simple one using the freshest vegetables from the garden and this clean tasting broth is a good example of the later.

Dried shrimps are usually used instead of the preserved radish, however this is a version preferred during the 1st and 15th day of the month (lunar calander) when only vegetarian meals are served.

If you are after something a little more challenging come back for massaman beef next, meanwhile get your pestle and mortar out and have some homemade curry paste ready!

serves 2 to 3 as part of a meal with rice
you'll need;
1 small choko, peeled, seed removed and cut into long strips
a small bunch of mung bean noodles
2 free range eggs
2 heaped tbs of preserved radish
pinch of salt
pinch of white pepper
2 l of stock
dash of sesame oil

Crack the eggs into a bowl, add preserved radish, salt and white pepper and beat lightly.

Heat a wok until smoking, add a little cooking oil to the wok and swirl to coat the wok. Pour in the beaten egg mixture and scramble lightly.

Pour the stock in, when it comes to a boil add in the shredded choko.

When the choko starts to wilt, add in the mung bean noodles and cook until the noodles are done. Check for seasonings and drizzle a little sesame oil over.

This clean tasting broth is perfect on days after an indulgent weekend.

I am the host for the September event so please send all your entries to me at To find out more about the event and on how to enter please click HERE.


  1. one of my favourite dish... just the taste of a slight burn egg with the soup.. yummy!

  2. Would be nice as a simple lunch on a weekend. I really love this.

  3. svery nice 3 hungry tummie, I am collecting nice blog n info, let me recommend your post in my blog.


  4. What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've
    discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I'm hoping to contribute & aid different users like its helped me. Good job.
    My web page ; work from home


Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia