Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sang Choi Bao 生菜包 Lettuce Wrap With Minced Chicken


Day 19 of our carbless diet - I think quite a few of us are thinking of starting some kind of diet after the long holidays and I think it is quite appropriate for me to continue posting our diet menu. I made this very refreshing dish on a relatively warm evening prior to the holidays. Squab is traditionally used in this dish but I have used chicken with great success. If you are able to obtain squab breast, use 2/3 squab mince and 1/3 pork mince instead. 
P.S 10 more days to go before we move and I better get back to my packing :(



serve 4 as an entree or 2 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
250 g of chicken breast
250 g of chicken thigh 
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 spring onions (white part) finely chopped
3 spring onions (green part) chopped
3 cm knob of ginger, finely chopped
1/2 cup of dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, reserve soaking water
1/3 cup of wood fungus, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
1 can of water chestnuts, finely diced
1 tbs of light soy
1 tbs of dark soy
2 tbs of oyster sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
dash of Chinese cooking oil
1/2 cup of stock 
corn flour solution
iceberg lettuce to serve
chopped chillies in soy to serve

for the marinade;
1 tbs of light soy
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tbs of Chinese cooking wine
white pepper to taste
1/2 tbs of corn flour



Roughly mince the chicken pieces or you may do it in a food processor.



Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.



Dice mushrooms, wood fungus and water chestnuts. Prepare ginger and spring onions.



Saute chicken with a little cooking oil until the meat is no longer pink, remove from the pan and set aside.



Add a little more oil into the same pan and add in the chopped spring onions (white part) and ginger, cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the rest of the chopped ingredients. Continue to cook for another minute.



Return chicken to the pan, add seasonings and stock and bring it to a simmer. Thicken mixture with a little corn flour solution and mix in the chopped spring onions (green part).



Place a little chicken mixture on lettuce, wrap it all up and enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Very healthy delicious dish, very appropriate for dieting purpose:) Happy packing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking of starting a no carb diet too ;) This is also one of my favourites when I am eating at my local Chinese restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. makan macam nih mmg menyihatkan... masih on diet lg yer tummy? tahniah semangat kental... saya hampeh! hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to start a carbless week day diet as well. is it sustainable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. masih diet lagi ya..pasti sudah kehilangan banyak kg ni.Makcik manggis selalu gagal jika berdiet:( selamat mengemas dan berpindah kerumah baru ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the packing and the move! I love sang choi bau but I always have it with steamed rice so not quite appropriate for the diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...delicious. But I think I will die of hunger just eating this...haha. I will have a big bowl of rice with it :D Happy packing and happy moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Tums!! Looking forward to some more great food from all of you :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I had Thai Basil Chicken wraps for lunch yesterday! I'm going to have to try this too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow very tasty can't wait to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, this is my first visit to your blog I love learning different recipes and share mine, greetings from Spain ...MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is low-carb at its best. Delicious and packed with so many wonderful flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this - so healthy and I always love this sort of marinade for minced meat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm...I love this Thai dish. Yours looks very fresh and oh so good! Perfect for anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. New Diet Taps into Innovative Plan to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 15 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin