Monday, September 10, 2012

Preserved Radish Omelet, Choko And Mung Bean Noodles Broth 佛手瓜粉絲菜脯蛋湯 - "Malaysian Monday 88"



Well you better be a fan of choko because here's another very simple but delicious childhood dish of mine using the very underrated vegetable.

A bowl of broth or soup graced the dining table at every meal when I was growing up. It can be an elaborate double boiled number with expensive ingredients or just a very simple one using the freshest vegetables from the garden and this clean tasting broth is a good example of the later.

Dried shrimps are usually used instead of the preserved radish, however this is a version preferred during the 1st and 15th day of the month (lunar calander) when only vegetarian meals are served.

If you are after something a little more challenging come back for massaman beef next, meanwhile get your pestle and mortar out and have some homemade curry paste ready!





serves 2 to 3 as part of a meal with rice
you'll need;
1 small choko, peeled, seed removed and cut into long strips
a small bunch of mung bean noodles
2 free range eggs
2 heaped tbs of preserved radish
pinch of salt
pinch of white pepper
2 l of stock
dash of sesame oil



Crack the eggs into a bowl, add preserved radish, salt and white pepper and beat lightly.



Heat a wok until smoking, add a little cooking oil to the wok and swirl to coat the wok. Pour in the beaten egg mixture and scramble lightly.



Pour the stock in, when it comes to a boil add in the shredded choko.



When the choko starts to wilt, add in the mung bean noodles and cook until the noodles are done. Check for seasonings and drizzle a little sesame oil over.



This clean tasting broth is perfect on days after an indulgent weekend.



I am the host for the September event so please send all your entries to me at sureshchong@yahoo.com. To find out more about the event and on how to enter please click HERE.

5 comments:

  1. one of my favourite dish... just the taste of a slight burn egg with the soup.. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be nice as a simple lunch on a weekend. I really love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. svery nice 3 hungry tummie, I am collecting nice blog n info, let me recommend your post in my blog.

    regards
    http://webbl1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've
    discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I'm hoping to contribute & aid different users like its helped me. Good job.
    My web page ; work from home

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin